Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

ASIC censures lender over trademark use

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 02 Dec 2014, 11:53 AM Agree 0
ASIC has censured a non-bank lender over what it has called the inappropriate use of one of its trademarks
  • Clarke Kent | 02 Dec 2014, 12:05 PM Agree 0
    Wow! Great outcome for ASIC. What a waste of taxpayer money.
  • CRT | 02 Dec 2014, 12:07 PM Agree 0
    There's a shocker NOT - wouldn't mind a few dollars for every one of their customers I've refinanced due to dissatisfaction :)
  • Bottom Line | 02 Dec 2014, 12:18 PM Agree 0
    Someone wrote me a letter saying "...it's a SMART way to spend your MONEY...". Their next letter will say "...it's a clever way to spend your moola..."
  • Daniel Johnston | 02 Dec 2014, 01:19 PM Agree 0
    Very Interesting. ASIC just denied a friend who has a company called NewStart Finance complaining about a new company start up called NuStart Finance. ASIC apparently said they didn't think there would be any confusion.....
  • Vic Regional Broker | 02 Dec 2014, 03:10 PM Agree 0
    How come ASIC are registering Brand names in an area they do not operate in ???? Really lets stick to catching operators who need to be dealt with instead of registering brands , surely Money Smart is a public Domain name??
  • Papery | 02 Dec 2014, 05:19 PM Agree 0
    Check the Money Smart website....I get why ASIC have a problem....
  • Andrew Edwards | 03 Dec 2014, 09:49 AM Agree 0
    Seriously...how petty can you get! Surely ASIC has more important issues to investigate?

It was a tad slack of Mortgage House not to check but I seriously doubt customers would have believed they were endorsed by ASIC.

Your average punter wouldn't have a clue who ASIC is or what they do.
  • CRT | 03 Dec 2014, 10:02 AM Agree 0
    If you look at ASIC's site you can see where the concern comes from - it is a site helping the public with money issues and there could definitely be confusion that somehow Mortgage
    House are involved - which is ironic considering the feedback I have had about them! ASIC is a more recognisable brand than you might think, don't underestimate the 'average punter' they at least know ASIC is involved with protection of rights.
Post a reply