Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Association slams regulator squeeze on home lending

Notify me of new replies via email
Julia Corderoy | 11 Dec 2014, 05:19 AM Agree 0
The Real Estate Institute of Australia (REIA) has slammed moves by the regulators to clamp down on home lending
  • Paul Sheedy | 11 Dec 2014, 05:05 PM Agree 0
    I think the move by ASIC demonstrates ignorance & naivety at an astounding level. In the UK, unless it has changed in recent years, all mortgage loans are Interest Only. Clearly ASIC has not heard of Offset a/c's, redraws or tax deductible lending compared with non tax deductible lending. Our default rate on Mortgages is still at incredibly low levels - even "Low Doc" loans have a very low default rate. Many clients are buying & selling properties & intelligently choose I/O repayments until one of the properties is sold. This new generation of borrowers have a thing called HECS to also repay, which previous generations did not have. Therefore it may be sensible to chose I/O for say 2-3 years until it is cleared. Don't forget they still have another 27-28 years in which to repay the loan. It was not that long ago that we had maximum terms of 20 & 25 years. I won't be taking my advice from ASIC or APRA anytime soon. Sheeds.
Post a reply