Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

BREAKING: Borrowers losing thousands to loan scammers

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 10 Mar 2014, 12:32 PM Agree 0
ASIC is warning about a lending scam after hearing from victims who have lost thousands of dollars.
  • Keith of the West | 10 Mar 2014, 01:16 PM Agree 0
    It's a wonder ASIC don't find an excuse to blame brokers' for these scams..
  • A. Sick | 10 Mar 2014, 01:46 PM Agree 0
    Put on a new record Keith...
  • Adriano | 09 Feb 2015, 10:34 PM Agree 0
    I have been approached by a man "Jonathan Walker" who has told me that hes a broker and a private lender is offering me 40000 unsecured however they require a 2280 insurance premium deposit - sounds dodgy right?
  • illawarra broker | 10 Feb 2015, 09:50 AM Agree 0
    With all of the scams that go around, why are clients not calling the lender directly to confirm requests like those above? Hard to believe that people have no gut feeling about these types of calls. Request money to be sent via by western union or similar? Unbelievable.
  • annon | 10 Feb 2015, 09:53 AM Agree 0
  • Nick | 12 Apr 2015, 10:26 PM Agree 0
    Adriano how did u go with the jonathan walker guy? My mate has just dealt with him and payed him $700
  • Michael Kent | 13 Apr 2015, 10:32 AM Agree 0
    I have been approached by a "Jonathan Walker" as well. Obvious scammer. Sent an email, I requested a mobile number and he made up some lame excuse for not having one.

I then asked where he operates from and he said he has an office here in Melbourne. I suggested we meet, again more excuses why we can't.

Dodgy! Why anyone, broker or client would hand over money without services rendered is madness.

I would only suggest doing it with big name companies like Liberty who want vals paid for upfront etc..
  • Awesome Albert | 13 Apr 2015, 10:55 AM Agree 0
    Not sure why ASIC are involved. Wouldn't this be a straight out Fraud - he is misrepresenting himself and falsely using other peoples details to obtain advantage. I would have thought this would have immediately been a police matter not ASIC. No different really to someone selling online taking a payment and not delivering the goods.
  • Albert | 13 Apr 2015, 11:57 AM Agree 0
    I'm a broker myself and have to say that the entire fault is from the client.

You only need common sense not to send money overseas and through Western Union for a loan which hasn't been settled nor drawn down. Come on !

Darwinian theory at its best.

• Rebecca A Mitchell | 13 Apr 2015, 12:28 PM Agree 0
    I am with Awesome Albert, why hasn't this gone straight to the police? If I was a client that hadn't asked for any loans & was approached by someone offering me money as long as I paid insurance upfront I would be going straight to the police not report it to ASIC.

I am a bit concerned that ASIC feel that anyone charging a fee for service is not legitimate.

• marty | 13 Apr 2015, 12:42 PM Agree 0
    Oldest scam in the book, was even in the movie Amercian Hustle.
Post a reply