Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Budget shakes home owner confidence

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 17 May 2013, 09:00 AM Agree 0
Despite low home loan interest rates, borrowers are feeling the squeeze when it comes to their personal finances in light of this week's Budget announcement
  • NoTimeLikeTheFuture | 17 May 2013, 11:22 AM Agree 0
    If you're employed Abbot just cost you 2 x 3% of your family gross yearly income - in lost super.

Did anyone notice?
  • Positive Broker | 17 May 2013, 11:37 AM Agree 0
    Abbot also gave you a better chance of getting a pay rise or a job in the future. The increase to super would just mean small business has less available for salaries.
  • realist | 17 May 2013, 12:08 PM Agree 0
    If NoTimeLikeTheFuture honestly thought that employers were going to be able to pay a 3% pay increase on top of what you were going to get as part of an annual increase then they are on drugs.

The reality is that the increases in the compulsory super was going to be paid/subsidised by a lesser [or no] pay-rise in the year they fall due.

With the labor government killing local business with their policies there is no way for them to be able to afford this entirely out of their [ever decreasing] profits.

Wake up!!!
  • NoTimeLikeTheFuture | 17 May 2013, 12:19 PM Agree 0
    I'd rather have the $6,000+ in my super than a 'chance' of something thanks anyway
  • jason | 17 May 2013, 01:08 PM Agree 0
    if your employed, Abbot probably saved your job as the extra super is a cost and business would just save by not replacing or sacking more staff.
    labor lovers---- remember business does not have a money tree out the back they can keep funding everyone's lifestyles
  • realist | 17 May 2013, 01:14 PM Agree 0
    You really don't get it do you NoTimeLikeTheFuture. The only chance involved is the chance of loosing your job when small business can't afford as many staff because their Super bill has gone up by 3% of their annual wage bill.

You clearly don't run your own business or you would understand the financial stress that places on a small business.

There's no well back to which a small business operator can run to find this magical 3% to pay employee's at the behest of the government who, lets facing it, clearly don't understand how to build a budget little own stick to one!!

The only place to get the extra funds from is out of the bottom line and as I said that is constantly decreasing due to the governments policies which are crippling the ability of our businesses to compete both domestically and internationally.

The most likely outcome is that the operator is more likely to decrease their wage bill to pay for it or go broke [or possible both as they can't compete with the online offerings which still have a lower cost base due to being based offshore].
  • NoTimeLikeTheFuture | 17 May 2013, 01:45 PM Agree 0
    I was just wondering if anyone noticed, that's all.

How does business !possibly! afford the 9% super now? (check the unemployment rate to see how that worked out)

The end.
  • CB | 18 May 2013, 03:27 PM Agree 0
    Re: realist
    "loosing"
    "...clearly don't understand how to build a budget little own stick to one!!"

I think you meant 'losing' and 'let alone'.

Some of your points are valid but might be taken more seriously if your spelling and grammar was better.

Depending on the employer, most will either pass on the increased costs to their customers or reduce costs elsewhere.
    Reducing the number of employees should be a last resort as that will ultimately reduce productivity, turnover and profit.
  • SelfEmployedFool | 21 May 2013, 03:05 PM Agree 0
    The labour government have continued to make running a small business totally unrewarding. Small business takes the risks, employs staff, collects tax for the government for free and so... I worked out I could close my office, my sack my staff and work half the time I do now from home and earn $100K/year more. If you are employed you should consider it a privilege because someone has gone out of their way to provide that job.
  • NoTimeLikeTheFuture | 22 May 2013, 10:04 AM Agree 0
    It's weak to blame Labour [sic] for those things. Eg. collecting tax for free for the gov't (the GST) was from the Liberals no?

Lucky you can work from home part time and make $100k+. Many people would love that.

Maybe you should be thanking the gov't instead of blaming them. Just sayin
  • SelfEmployedFool | 22 May 2013, 03:10 PM Agree 0
    Please understand I have spent 9 years working very hard & invested $250K of borrowed money in order to build the business to where it is now, so I am not lucky I just took the risk & worked hard. The point I am making is the government have removed the incentive to grow businesses and create jobs.
Post a reply