Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Burdensome stamp duty must be scrapped

Notify me of new replies via email
Julia Corderoy | 31 Mar 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
The industry is calling for urgent action on stamp duty tax after the release of the federal government’s tax discussion paper, which admits it can be a “tax burden” on consumers
  • Vic Regional Broker | 31 Mar 2015, 09:27 AM Agree 0
    I recall that when the GST was to be introduced State Stamp duty of land transfer was to be abolished!

It never happened , it really needs to be revisited for the reasons set out in the article.
  • WA Broker | 31 Mar 2015, 10:02 AM Agree 0
    Remove the Stamp Duty & move straight to a more comparable (as compared to other developed countries) GST/VAT, WITH BETTER STATE BY STATE DISTRIBUTION - eg 12-12.5%.
  • DanG | 31 Mar 2015, 10:03 AM Agree 0
    Stamp duty is a reckless disregard to the way tax was intended.

Tax is meant to be a small percentage of the amount of your outlay

If I purchase a small rental in QLD at $200k and contribute $20k from my own funds. The stamp duty is $5,812. 29.06% of my outlay.

Seems ridiculous that this ever stuck to the wall.
  • Ryle Purich | 31 Mar 2015, 10:06 AM Agree 0
    If any state tax is to be abolished or reduced I think payroll tax would be a higher priority than stamp duty. It would have to be the most insidious tax ever invented.
  • Papery | 31 Mar 2015, 11:24 AM Agree 0
    Yeah...careful what you wish for kids.....wait till they reduce stamp duty & implement GST against property transactions, return of the BAD taxes....
  • John | 31 Mar 2015, 11:57 AM Agree 0
    This was suggested some 20 years ago, nothing new. Stamp duty should only be paid on the difference between the former price and the new price, this would be a fair way?
  • Ron Clarke | 31 Mar 2015, 04:28 PM Agree 0
    Ok so we cancel stamp-duty, were do the state governments raise the taxes to educate your children, build your roads and look after the sick? How about a 15% GST, and no tax concessions on housing, cancel the negative gearing rort and tax the gains on the family home.
Post a reply