Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Costs add up, and keep house prices high

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 09 Jul 2012, 06:15 AM Agree 0
House prices may be at 'absurd levels' according to one observer, so what is it - aside from rates - that are keeping them afloat in these uncertain times?
  • MMS from Perth | 09 Jul 2012, 10:40 AM Agree 0
    Article is accurate. Going through the process right now (with other property oweners)and the the items Council is requesting owners to pay, borders on the ridiculous.
  • Incognito | 09 Jul 2012, 01:29 PM Agree 0
    Everyone screams if governments increase debt.

So for now it's user pays as budgets are already in the red.

Developers want the costs made 'public' but the profits private (i.e. theirs).

Everything costs money so user and profiter should pay.
  • Garry | 09 Jul 2012, 02:20 PM Agree 0
    It has never been the developer who has created these cost blow-outs. The developer understands he needs to build at a low cost to move the property on in a timely manner. This issue sits right in the lap of the greedy councils. Too much red tape, too many absurd "infrastructure" costs make properties very expensive. Its time the councils reigned this back and the state and federal governments need to step in and stop the greed and fix it. If it wasnt for the developers being prepared to create the buildings we would have serious issues. As far as a devloper stating what his profits are - why should they. Does anyone reading this publically advertise what they earn? I doubt it.
Post a reply