Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

D-Day will come, just not for a while

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 30 May 2012, 02:00 AM Agree 0
The MFAA has put off its Diploma reckoning until next year, but were you happy with the decision? Have your say here!
  • Tom | 30 May 2012, 10:49 AM Agree 0
    NOT HAPPY AT ALL.
  • Rach | 30 May 2012, 10:54 AM Agree 0
    Not at all happy. We all knew it was due by, and some of us found the time, did it and paid for it. (And with RPL really not very hard AT ALL...) Why should they get a reprieve just because they couldn't be bothered to get it organised ?
  • Qld broker | 30 May 2012, 10:58 AM Agree 0
    But weren't they just telling us a few weeks ago that almost everybody was meeting the deadline. More MFAA lies. Glad I switched to the FBAA
  • Dave | 30 May 2012, 10:59 AM Agree 0
    Really happy, now that they've extended it I can get go my full year at the MFAA before changing to the FBAA. After all what will a piece of paper do for my business after being a broker for 12 years?
  • NSW Country Broker | 30 May 2012, 11:03 AM Agree 0
    Very Very Happy
  • Nicklas | 30 May 2012, 11:05 AM Agree 0
    My MD told us in March there is no way the MFAA will enforce it by the deadline. They add too little value to be able to dictate to their members educational requirements beyond the brand new legislation. We planned for the course later in the year, and she was quite correct.

We also do not see much value in the course requirement when for instance I have a degree in accounting, one in finance, have undertaken the MFAA commercial finance course, and hold a diploma in financial planning.
  • Country Broker | 30 May 2012, 11:10 AM Agree 0
    Not a good move, all those like me who made the effort to get the Diploma early must wonder what the board thinking or was it a case of the MFAA preferred training providers being unable to service the volumes of people doing the diplomas at the last minute and the board knew this??
  • PC | 30 May 2012, 11:20 AM Agree 0
    Just another example of the MFAA changing the goal posts to suit itself. The ONLY reason they have extended this is because if they had carried out their original plan they would probably have to expel over 50% of their members who have not yet completed the course.
    I'm with Rach and the others on this, I did mine and now find that the rush to do it was a waste, had I waited I could be in line for a 75% discount in fees.
    In future I will just drag my feet and get the extension now that the precedence has been set with regards to time frames.
    Sooner or later brokers in the main will ignore these types of demands on education standards and refuse to comply, due to the lack of leadership from the MFAA. Where will this leave the MFAA, will they remove the majority of their members, I think not.
  • Peter | 30 May 2012, 11:38 AM Agree 0
    I can't believe that MFAA were award 2.4mil as government grant to support them 'train' their members. What a loud of rubbish, MFAA are all about profiting and not actually helping their members. You may have gotten your $2.4m grant but you are losing members to the FBAA. I guess the grant will fill the gap in lost revenue from decreasing memberships.
  • Tandem Uehling | 30 May 2012, 11:50 AM Agree 0
    Why would I be happy with the postponement? I, along with many others, dropped everything to execute a requirement put before us only to find out that those who didn't do it are being cuddled. What benefit do we get for achieving what was asked of us?
  • Power Grab | 30 May 2012, 11:53 AM Agree 0
    MFAA need relevence so they decide to go down the education path - nothing wrong with that but come on. My clients have never heard of MFAA - membership of the organisation does not bring added businerss. maybe they feared the FBAA picking up their membership fees.
  • Gary | 30 May 2012, 12:11 PM Agree 0
    A big mistake by the MFAA. a slap in the face to those of us who met the deadline. Understanding that there would be new arrivals to the industry who may require extra time to complete a full diploma but that should have been dealt with on a case by case basis.To reward someone who not committed to the industry or may leave the MFAA by not complying with your 1st of July deadline is just bad planning and management.
    Very disappointing.
  • Incognito | 30 May 2012, 12:15 PM Agree 0
    I'm very happy with the MFAA.

Some miserable brokers are NEVER happy.

How could one small qualification make people so bitter.

"It's only a piece of paper" they say.

So is the HSC. So is my bachelor's degree. So is your car insurance. So is the $50 in my pocket.

Sad.

Get out and get professional. For the rest there is the FBAA..
  • Maverickzw | 30 May 2012, 03:47 PM Agree 0
    Wonder why the wrong responses are rewarded. Have you ever participated in a meeting which is due to start at at say, 10.00am but it is delayed for 10 minutes to allow others to arrive. In effect those who are tardy are rewarded and those who manage to arrive on time are penalised. It is called positive reinforcment becasue you are reinforcing the correct behaviour. In this case the MFAA is rewarding negative behaviour and who is to say that it will not be extended again. The writing on the wall for at least a Diploma was there several years ago.
  • Prisco | 30 May 2012, 04:29 PM Agree 0
    I guess you can please some of the people some of the time. Others,you will never please. It cost me less than $1K and a small amount of time to add to MY qualifications. I've been in the industry over 12 years. It may be just an other peice of paper but even so, it did enhance my knowledge , so guys? Do it for yourselves, quit the bickering and get your Diploma. The MFAA may not be politically correct all the time, but on this issue, they are at least trying to instill a bit more professionalism to your Industry
  • MFAA Bad Decision | 30 May 2012, 08:06 PM Agree 0
    Very disappointed with MFAA decision, those of us who are able to plan their time and be organised were able to have the Diploma completed last year, we have all had plenty of time to do this, (wasn't that hard really) why leave it to the last minute. Or is it the part time brokers who don't take the profession seriously the ones who can't be bothered to complete it on time?
    We want to be a more professional industry but some people obviously just don't care.
  • A Broker | 31 May 2012, 09:21 AM Agree 0
    Thanks for punishing those of us that actually did the right thing, MFAA. The fact that those brokers out there too lazy to do the right thing are being rewarded for their slackness by getting their Diploma subsidised is just a further kick in the teeth.
Post a reply