Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Deposit difficulties with Buy A Trail

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 09 Aug 2011, 06:00 AM Agree 0
A series of mortgage brokers have complained of difficulties in obtaining refunds of large deposits paid to Home Loan Selection Services Pty Ltd trading as Buy A Trail, and its director Mark Whittingham
  • Todd Hunter | 09 Aug 2011, 11:44 AM Agree 0
    Mark used to also sell leads to brokers that were sold to brokers that paid for a postcode... we purchased three postcodes 4 years ago and the business nor leads never went ahead and we had to pursue mark to get a refund. We contacted MFAA in relation to this and they had already had many complaints from brokers in relation to the same lead generation scheme he was conducting. We didn't receive our money back for 18 months.
  • Colin Williams | 09 Aug 2011, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    I find it hard to believe anyone would have had any dealings with this individual after his lead selling exploits, there was plenty of press coverage and warning signs
  • Goodo | 09 Aug 2011, 12:04 PM Agree 0
    How many warning need to be put out about this guy's business practices?

I saw the emails - did some investigations - saw who was behind the business and walked away.

I have just bought completed a trail book via my aggregator who has a vested interest in maintaining the integrity the book and having the customers serviced.
  • James | 13 Mar 2012, 08:55 PM Agree 0
    Wasn't this man they same person behind the lead generation business that sold postcode based mortgage leads out of Melb a few years back, and had people after him for their monies back???
  • Michael Kelly | 19 Dec 2012, 03:51 PM Agree 0
    I won a VCAT case against Mark's company and he still did not refund the money I paid him for 'leads'. It genuinely contributed tothe demise of my fledgling business. The product being oferred changed, and the amounts being requested went up but the process apears to have remained the same. Buyer beware big time.
  • Old Broker | 20 Dec 2012, 09:22 AM Agree 0
    What I find amazing with all of this is how he got to brokers in the first place... If he generated a mass email campaign where is ACMA ,Where are the people that provided the source of emails. whats going to stop others again from sending out group emails selling a new scam. Why do brokers have to adhere to the spam act and not these guys.. am I missing something here???
    Why are the industry bodies too scared in coming forward in investigating this matter. This is a serious issue this guy could have been stopped a long time ago.
  • CharlieX | 22 Jan 2015, 06:32 PM Agree 0
    whatever happen to the roles of MFAA and ASIC in situations like this? doesn't the aggregator has to approve any trail transfer, and why would you put in a deposit without that written contract from the aggregator?

anyways, what's the going rate for trail book these days? is it dollar per dollar, such as if the trail book is $24k per year then its price would be $24k to the buyer?
Post a reply