Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Investors not deterred by clampdown, APRA reveals

Notify me of new replies via email
Julia Corderoy | 26 Aug 2015, 08:21 AM Agree 0
Australians have not been deterred from investing their money in property despite the clampdown in investment lending, APRA statistics reveal
  • SEQ Broker | 26 Aug 2015, 08:57 AM Agree 0
    Hehe --> Llike anyone thought APRA was barking up the right tree anyway. They should have asked the MFAA and FBAA - then they may have been able to produce an effect and potentially not simply cost mum and dad investors 0.2%.
  • sigh.... | 26 Aug 2015, 09:34 AM Agree 0
    Like it was going to show in settlements immediately. Really.....these people need to get in the real world. Why not wind up APRA; and give the responsibility to ASIC. Too many large salaries for endless a country full of middle men shuffling deckchairs to give the illusion of progress to justify salaries.
  • I'm just your average Broker | 26 Aug 2015, 11:32 AM Agree 0
    I think the first 2 comments have missed the point. From the figures presented the government is spot on with it's concerns that investment lending is at worrying levels and affecting property values. Also, if an investor decided not to proceed with an investment property purchase because of a 0.25% increase in rates then the investment was never worth considering anyway. Hence, investors should not be price sensitive at this stage.
  • Frances Kee | 26 Aug 2015, 02:45 PM Agree 0
    I personally think this will hurt our own Aussies investors rather than foreign investors. If APRA really wants to balance the scale without hurting local investors, why not consider lowering the owner-occupier home loan rates instead of increasing investment loan rates?
  • Bruno K | 27 Aug 2015, 12:18 PM Agree 0
    The new APRA lending requirements for investment loans were brought in after June 2015. The APRA statistics used that show the growth in investment lending where up to the end of the June 2015 quarter. It will be interesting to see the figures for the next quarter.
Post a reply