Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is Victoria's enlarged FHO grant a waste of taxpayer dollars?

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 06 May 2013, 07:00 AM Agree 0
From July 1, Victorian first home buyers looking at newly constructed homes will be eligible for a $10,000 grant from the state's government - but one economist asks, is it worth the cost to taxpayers?
  • Patrick | 06 May 2013, 11:22 AM Agree 0
    Maybe a first home should be an apartment purchased by a single person. If all did this then, if necessary, 2 apartments could be sold when the time came to buy a family home.
  • Country Broker | 06 May 2013, 11:24 AM Agree 0
    I understan what Gilliam is saying but his comments are so City centered .

Yes there will be some savings in the outer suburbs , but more in regional Victoria where the avarage entry will be about 330,000 , this initative is a much need boost to regional Victoria,

Can these commentators think aboutn the state as a whole not just Melbourne .
  • Its Now | 06 May 2013, 02:11 PM Agree 0
    This scheme which is now operating in Qld has been a flop (6.4% take up compared to the average 15%). ALL first home buyers should benefit from a Government Grant and not just new homes. We have gone so far backwards with these incentives. I bought my first home in for $53,000 in 1983 when Bob Hawke was prime minister. The avearge price of a home then was $67,000. Back then you recieved $4000 for a couple and $7000 if you had children. The average price of a home now is around the $490,000 mark. Very poor on all governments behalf
Post a reply