Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Local brand built through BNI

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 10 May 2012, 02:00 AM Agree 0
It was three months into his mortgage broking career when Andrew Skinner first heard about BNI, and he's been involved ever since
  • Ian | 10 May 2012, 09:56 AM Agree 0
    Absolutely agree. I have been in BNI for 10 years and would write about half my business from BNI referrals.
    BNI is limited to only one of each business type, but if the broker spot in your local chapter is full, start your own chapter. Contact the local director from the bni.com.au website.
  • MelbBroker | 10 May 2012, 11:41 AM Agree 0
    It really depends on the chapter you join. I put in over 3 years with BNI and in the end I couldn't justify the significant time commitment with the level of business being referred. Good luck tho!
  • Positive Broker | 10 May 2012, 01:16 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Melb broker. 18 months and 1 successful lead! Having said that I know another BNI chapter in my area that perhaps really well and I have since joined a similar networking group which works well. Just google networking groups in your area.
  • Bedrock | 27 May 2012, 11:03 AM Agree 0
    My business has been involved in two BNI chapters over the past 12 months. So far I have covered my expenses and nothing more, though I believe that our type of business requires an extended period of time to build trust with other members. I expect to see more leads over the next 12 months.
  • Craig B | 27 May 2012, 09:23 PM Agree 0
    Having been in BNI over 4 years myself, I agree, it does work & I highly recommend it. In the last 2 years, it's contributed over $6M of applications that I would not have ordinarily lodged, so it's worth the time and efforts, but you must be patient. Don't expect to just turn up & get referrals without first putting in the effort.
  • Lee | 28 May 2012, 09:03 AM Agree 0
    I joined my local BNI chapter as the "commercial finance broker" knowing there was already a residential mortgage broker in the Chapter. The results have been excellent. The referrals for commercial property, small business lending and leasing and equipment finance are a great source of business for us. The other benefit is the synergy with the residential broker in the Chapter, we offer very similar services but have formed a great personal and professional relationship.
Post a reply