Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

MFAA membership changes to fast-track experienced brokers

Notify me of new replies via email
Julia Corderoy | 12 May 2015, 08:25 AM Agree 0
The MFAA has announced changes to its member on-boarding process, which will allow some brokers to be fast-tracked
  • John NSW | 12 May 2015, 09:29 AM Agree 0
    What's wrong MFAA, do you need to rake in some new members after we all jumped ship? Oh and yes I do have my diploma and had it long before you forced it upon us.
  • Getting Fed Up | 12 May 2015, 09:34 AM Agree 0
    Seriously this is becoming a p*ss**g competition between both associations. The MFAA says we are better than the FBAA the FBAA says their members can do no wrong... How about you both just get on with business and support YOUR brokers with day to day business!
    It is so disappointing to see both CEO's lower themselves to this kind of sledging. Seriously grow up and get on with business. Brokers will go to the association that has the best offering for what they do. If you both keep p*ss*ng against the wind you will end up with no brokers and no associations.... Nobody likes to deal with arrogance.
  • Larz | 12 May 2015, 10:04 AM Agree 0
    Interesting to see with the changes to the CEO and the structure of the MFAA board the move away from the strategic plan that was put in place a few years ago. Recent announcements such as the decision not to use the term "Credit Adviser", the expenditure of $1 mill on advertising and now the first move towards reducing standards. Also the reference to the FBAA and their requirements which indicates to me that the FBAA is starting to have have an impact on MFAA membership numbers and therefore they need to make it easier to join in order to compete for members. Lets see what other announcements come out in the next few months.
  • Vee | 12 May 2015, 10:20 AM Agree 0
    Totally agree with these two comments. What on earth did brokers do before some smart mouth decided to make money out of brokers and set up a ruling body, oh yes that's right we just got on with business in a professional and competent manner. Loooooong before MFAA (MIAA) and FBAA.
  • Finance Tart | 12 May 2015, 10:33 AM Agree 0
    Since I've never been particularly impressed with the MFAA, I would seriously consider joining transferring to the FBAA if it offered a simple signup process for experienced / long-standing MFAA members. As it is, I've had enough of "jumping through hoops"!
  • Jo | 12 May 2015, 11:25 AM Agree 0
    I considered going back to MFAA from FBAA. The process was ridiculously drawn out and not worth the time. That was with a Diploma - I imagine its even more paperwork with these new conditions. I'm yet to see any value in either association - I'm just a member to satisfy our Aggregator & donate money each year.
  • Stephen Dinte | 12 May 2015, 01:29 PM Agree 0
    There are two things about me that those people in this industry who know me are aware of:-
    1) I have strong opinions.
    2) I am not afraid to share those opinions.
    Unlike the losers, who continually whinge and whine about our associations and their respective CEOs, I am not afraid to use my name when making comments, nor do I b*tch about the paltry amount of the membership fees (tax deductible) which I pay to support the work done by the associations in representing members. It is easy to take cheap shots when you hide behind pseudonyms. My advice to the whingers is that you get off your collective butts and get involved with whichever association you belong to. All of us benefit from stronger and more vocal associations, and this will only occur if all brokers put in the effort to participate. Those association members, who think that being the CEO is a walk in the park, really have their heads in the sand. I for one am grateful to both Siobhan and Peter for the hours of effort they put into the job.
  • Steve McClure | 12 May 2015, 02:13 PM Agree 0
    Further to Stephen Dinte's comments (I agree, perhaps more subtly), I extend an invitation to anyone with MFAA issues to do the following:
    - Put your thoughts in writing and contact the MFAA
    - I was elected to the NSW Advisory Committee, so I'm always available to take up issues on your behalf.

Like you, I've had my differences with the MFAA, but feel we are better placed than ever to be heard. And we are. Don't leave your valid concerns as part of an anonymous blog that passes at the end of the day. I come from the same place as you and represent your concerns. My details on MFAA website, or just Google Steve McClure MFAA.
  • Ron VIC | 20 May 2015, 11:19 AM Agree 0
    A bit of innovation is not a bad thing I suppose, but how about some similar innovation for us long in the tooth 15 Yr plus veterans, such as easing up on the points, say back to 25 as required by ASIC. I think the decision to go to 30 was just an overreaction, trying to show ASIC how serious the MFAA was at the time.
  • Steve McClure | 20 May 2015, 01:26 PM Agree 0
    Good point Ron. You might find that you're achieving more CPD points than you realise. Maybe the points structure needs revision. There's been some other thoughts suggested too, so if you send me your contact details, I'll keep you in the loop. Happy to put ideas forward.
Post a reply