Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

MFAA warns brokers against Whittingham

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 05 Nov 2012, 07:00 AM Agree 0
The MFAA has finally come out to warn brokers specifically about the activities of Buy a Trail and its director Mark Whittingham, following a warning issued by Consumer Affairs Victoria
  • Karm Gilespie | 05 Nov 2012, 12:13 PM Agree 0
    I have a VCAT ruling stating that this guy owes my company $6000 for a pre-paid package of Mortgage LEADS that never arrived. My legal advise is that due to "that" company being shut down that there's no point chasing it as I'll get nothing.

This was indeed one of several reasons that lead me to decide to leave the industry. Meaning, non of the industry groups that I was paying membership to were willing to help me find "the others" being ripped off so we could band together ........

At least the industry now can feel confident that he is NAMED and all others beware.
  • BJ | 05 Nov 2012, 01:25 PM Agree 0
    Karm
    I for one had lengthy conversation with various industry players, legal firms including the Victorian Fraud department. They have been active and finally results.
    Ben Abbott has written several articles warning brokers and I personally have received over 60 calls from brokers who have lost significant funds as a result of Ben’s reports. For my part Broker Magazine has been very active and congratulations to Ben Abbott as this is a good result.
    What is disappointing, I agree, is the lack of industry resolve to take on the likes of Whittingham. However short of a “Black List” I am unsure how the industry i.e. MFAA can tackle the problem without becoming embroiled in a costly defamation dispute and using member funds in the process.
  • Thewest | 06 Nov 2012, 11:21 PM Agree 0
    Anyone considering buying trail books should be doing due diligence on the seller and/or the middle man. A google search of Whittingham would be enough to scare most people away.
Post a reply