Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Mortgage Choice promotes alternatives to big four

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 04 Jun 2009, 03:00 PM Agree 0
Non-bank lenders and second tier banks are being given a leg up by Mortgage Choice with the franchise group urging its network to consider alternatives to the major banks.
  • Alistair Kelsall | 05 Jun 2009, 07:40 AM Agree 0
    This is a the same advise that I have passed on to our team of brokers. If the banks want to start delivering 2 levels of service, efficient for the branch and slow for the brokers then it's time we voted with our business.
  • SteveOZ | 09 Jun 2009, 01:16 PM Agree 0
    I agree with this, however the hard part is the big 4 have policy that allows a huge influx of business. The smaller lenders are hamstrung by their own policies and a tough market with higher than usual level of defaults and other policy dramas. It seems everyone wants the easy deals (Me included LOL) however this i just not the environment at the moment. Good luck all
  • Louis | 09 Jun 2009, 02:47 PM Agree 0
    Non bank lenders can still provide a superior service and can pay better commissions. However these are your considerations:

1. Their policies are LMI policies which are equal or harder than the banks.
    2. Their rates can be competitive with the banks depending on how much commission you want to get paid.
    3. If they get an influx of applications, they too will provide slower turnaround times but their staff are more committed to staying back to catch up. Certainly not 2 weeks before they look at it.

If you have a vanilla loan you will certainly get a quick response. If it's a Lo Doc, you will experience difficulties.

If you haven't tried non-banks, give them a shot. There are many originators sourcing funds from Firstmac, Challenger and Resimac. Look them up and have a chat.
  • Michael | 09 Jun 2009, 02:49 PM Agree 0
    Our curent book has been developed over the past 4 years with three brokers. It has less than 5% with the big 4, the remainder with 2nd tier banks and non- bank lenders. we don't seem to have any trouble fitting with their policies. You just need to make the effort. Our livelyhood depends on us doing this so it is worth the effort.
Post a reply