Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

New political party calls for broker support

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 29 May 2012, 06:00 AM Agree 0
The founder of a new political party aimed at reforming the major banks has called on brokers to throw their support behind the efforts
  • sydney broker | 29 May 2012, 09:43 AM Agree 0
    What a great Idea, take the fight to the top where banks have been making the best of their PR fooling everyone. Good on you bradley, you will find a lot of support from all of us all over Australia.
  • Incognito | 29 May 2012, 09:49 AM Agree 0
    Banks are in the business of earning economic rent - so they have plenty of reasons to oppose this new force.

I hope the new party succeeds and I'll tentatively support it.
  • Scopher | 29 May 2012, 09:55 AM Agree 0
    Adrian, if you were elected and held the balance of power, who would you support: Gillard or Abbott?
  • Rach | 29 May 2012, 09:59 AM Agree 0
    Can you give us a rundown on where you stand on other issues too Adrian ? I'm all for your general gist, but naturally there are other considerations...
  • northern beaches broker | 29 May 2012, 10:06 AM Agree 0
    excellent work Adrain, count me in for support and party membership Reform is a good thing for all and is very timely
  • Will - Perth | 29 May 2012, 10:17 AM Agree 0
    What on earth is Adrian Bradley talking about? The banks have the same regulations to adhere to as we do. I have been in banking most of my life and brokering the last 12 years. Banks, LIKE US are in it for the profit. Thats why they are so financial and strong here which is keeping Australia to some degree blanketed from whats happening overseas. ALSO they are the only stocks that are contributing to my super, the restof the stocks are failing me. Sheesh, dont kill the goose thats laying the glden egg.
  • Adrian Bradley | 29 May 2012, 10:21 AM Agree 0
    Scopher, if we held the balance of power we would support whoever enabled us to further our reform agenda. We are non-aligned, and looking to appeal to mainstream ideology across Australian politics; from Greens to ALP and Coalition, but not the extreme left or right. Therefore there is no ideological straightjacket preventing us from supporting either ALP or Coalition, but only on our terms and only if it helps us deliver on our reform agenda. We are also not a single issue party, we are pro-competition (anti-oligopoly etc) and want to reform the bank, supermarket and the fuel sectors. We also believe there should be a new "social compact" with greater competition, but also greater social responsibility by our major institutions.
  • Adrian Bradley | 29 May 2012, 10:24 AM Agree 0
    Rach, as per my reply to Scopher, we are non-aligned, and looking to appeal to mainstream ideology across Australian politics; from Greens to ALP and Coalition, but not the extreme left or right. There is no ideological straightjacket and we are not a single issue party, we are pro-competition and want to initially reform the bank, supermarket and the fuel sectors. We also believe there should be a new "social compact" with greater competition, but also greater social responsibility by our major institutions.
  • Adrian Bradley | 29 May 2012, 10:27 AM Agree 0
    Will,
    If you are happy with the present lack of competition in the banking sector and rationalisation of the market then we aren't the party for you! All the best. Adrian
  • TigerGold | 29 May 2012, 12:25 PM Agree 0
    One of the most frustrating issues for consumers and brokers is the discharge process to move lenders. Bradley, please lobby for a minimum timeframe to discharge the mortgage? How? Once a GENERIC (not lender specific) form is received (on email) the lender should be regulated to attend settlement within 7 business days. Failing to do this would lead to a penalty. The penalty would be to charge the lender a daily cost of the total loan amount plus penalty interest. This will ensure when a consumer wants to move the process is streamlined. The current quick refinance model adopted by some lenders is not good enough (not a common standard). Nab are the worst discharging a mortgage with a time frame common at 4 weeks - not good enough.
  • sidbroker | 29 May 2012, 01:20 PM Agree 0
    Adrian great idea however we Brokers are a minority. I have been wanting to start a party that would attack the issue of over regultaion and increase FREEDOM for the Australian people. We are over ruled and regulated and we all need to put a stop to it. I would support your party if you include the above.
  • Adrian Bradley | 29 May 2012, 03:10 PM Agree 0
    Sidbroker, if you have a look at my replies above or visit our web site you can get an overview of what we are trying to achieve, as mentioned above we are pro-competition, better not more regulaton and greater social nad corporate responsibility. Not sure what you mean by "freedom", but we are certainly looking at reform across a lot of areas to assist the Australian economy and help all Australians, regardless of who they are or what they earn. We are also not targeting brokers as such, but you are a group who generally would welcome greater competition etc of banks.
  • sidbroker | 29 May 2012, 05:42 PM Agree 0
    Adrian, By FREEDOM I mean for example if i wish to borrow from a lender and the lender wants to say yes but can`t because of the extreme restrictions of NCCP then Hello Houston surely we have a massive problem. We have to many rules now and the Govt`s keep introducing and increasing fines to suite themselves as if it is their supreme right (NOT). Part of the reason for increases is they need money to pay for Public so called Servants that we don`t want. I would add to your Parties name and add the words De regulation Reform. IE. Bank Reform and De regulation Party. Australians are extremly fed up with arrogant politicians running amuk as they are and will support a Party that will restore the meaning of the words a FAIR GO FOR ALL and pull them back into line. Then we have all the illegal taxes ie, Stamp, Death Duties. Land Tax and Capitol Gains Tax and the list goes on. Cut back on Public Servants starting with ASIC,ACCC we did way better before them and the nations overheads and cost to run business was way less. Add these messures to your platform and one day you will be Prime Minister.
  • Rach | 30 May 2012, 10:57 AM Agree 0
    Great to see you responding Adrian! Best of luck.
  • Broker | 30 May 2012, 11:47 AM Agree 0
    I wish you all the best of luck Adrian, but this goverments ears seem painted on , as they continue their destruction of what was a good economy until their incomptetance stuffed it up.
Post a reply