Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Party's over: Credit growth will not return to pre-GFC levels, say experts

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 08 Aug 2013, 06:00 AM Agree 0
A sobering new report claims Australia's credit growth levels will likely never reach pre-GFC highs again
  • Sydney Broker | 08 Aug 2013, 10:09 AM Agree 0
    This makes it seem like the borrowers were the one's that drove the debt boom. That is only partly true. Those of us that have been around remember the days when banks went from a simple DSR calculation, where you can borrow around 3.5 times your annual gross income to the 'cash flow' models around today using ridiculous statistics on cost of living expenses etc. so that the borrowing capacity (on the same income) is almost double in many cases. The banks changed this themselves. On $100k back then your maximum loan was about $350k. Now it would be over $500k. Nothing seems to be said about this?
    Same income - more debt! (and higher cost of living).
    The other fundamental change in the 90's was the number of double income households. Of course this can only change once.
  • SIDBROKER | 08 Aug 2013, 10:13 AM Agree 0
    Nothind will grow while we have Rudds NCCP legislation. Pity it doesn`t apply to him though. He justs wants to do what he wants to do and then control all of us. Bring on the election!
  • Country Broker | 08 Aug 2013, 11:33 AM Agree 0
    I agree , at present I cannot see credit growth returning beyond 5% while we have no clear direction from either party , they both need to stop the American style campaigning and tell us what they are going to do about the housing sector , it needs some assistance and direction. The borrowers and FHOG need direction and certainty .
  • Duncan Perkins | 08 Aug 2013, 12:02 PM Agree 0
    That's why there is the big push to grab money from SMSF's. This is a very slippery slope the financial markets are going down. When there is little left in the SMSF market, what's next.
  • Papery | 08 Aug 2013, 03:27 PM Agree 0
    Yeah, but property prices only ever increase... dont they......
Post a reply