Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Poll: Are office-based brokers more professional?

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 14 Feb 2012, 03:00 AM Agree 0
Are brokers with their own offices seen by clients as more ‘professional’ than mobile brokers? Have your say!
  • Emma Lockwood - 'Emma Lockwood Finance' | 20 Jan 2012, 10:13 AM Agree 0
    Yes, I believe I will write more business in 2012. I expect that my intensive efforts in social media and being able to provide a number of services such as personal loans, leasing and risk insurance will pay dividends.
  • Michael Maher - Fair Go Finance | 31 Jan 2012, 04:12 PM Agree 0
    Yes we have made a very conscious decision to engage all social media options to assist promoting our personal loan business this year. We have enlisted professional advisors through a SEO business given this arena is quite foreign to us and we want to make sure we are approaching it in the most professional and constructive manner.
  • Colin Kelly | 10 Feb 2012, 11:19 AM Agree 0
    Having an office is certainly the preferred option, but justifying the expense is questionable. Factor in rent, power, travelling costs, ph & internet, etc & I'm paying about $2,800/ mth. With predominantly repeat & referred business I find it hard to justify & will be setting up a home office in the near future. it really depends on your business model.
  • Glenn - ALL Home Loans Queensland | 10 Feb 2012, 11:24 AM Agree 0
    I can comment from personal experience. I started the company in a separate room in the family home for a duration and transacted interviews/applications/signings on those premises.
    It was not until I moved into commercial premises, not necessarily as an act of expanding the business but rather as a marketing strategy. That triggered more inward phone enquiries, referral agents were more comfortable in directing clients to the street address (and to me)and the 'stream of clients' increased in quality and volume.
    So yes, I beleive it is a consumer's perception that dealing with a mortgage broker operating from commerical premises (shop front)is someone who is not a fly-by-nighter, has accreditations to display on walls and is "more" professional. Probably also says, the mortgage broker is more viable and capable.
  • Jon Colley - Loan Wize | 10 Feb 2012, 11:50 AM Agree 0
    Yes, I believe that a professional commercial office adds significantly to the professional image/perception of a Broker in the clients and referrers eyes, however there are many professional brokers that do not operate from commercial premises as well. We work closely with many accountants and they are far more comfortable in referring their clients to us because we operate from professional premises. While it is a big expense, it does generate significant business as well, so like Glenn says, it is a marketing strategy as well.
  • Coast Broker | 14 Feb 2012, 09:41 AM Agree 0
    As I have always said that if you are Proefessional in yourself that is the main requirement. As most potential clients like to be seen in the comfort of their home why have a commercial office if you can set up a separate office in your home. It is not as if the potential client will be coming out of their home at night to meet you at a Commercial Office. I have been in the finance industry for over 30 years. You would have to write a lot of business just to cover the costs associated with having commercial office space. Why not do a pole on the number of Brokers who have satarted off in Comerrcial Office space only to realise that when the lease comes up for renewal that the sheer cost outways any benefit.
  • Brad Q | 14 Feb 2012, 10:33 AM Agree 0
    I run my business from home, but I never have cleints come to me. Part of my service is the fact that I go to the client, where they are comfortable, and happy. We have never had a complaint or someone mention we are not professional...only the opposite
  • Laurie - a NSW country broker | 16 Feb 2012, 10:36 AM Agree 0
    It is not my role to pass judgement on how other mortgage brokers run their business. I can only talk from personal experience. I was a mortgage broker operating from an office in my home for five years. My level of professionalism diminished as time went on as did the volume of loans that I was writing also diminish. Six years ago I opened an office in the centre of the city of where I live, my level of professionalism had to increase, I hired an assistant, my overheads increased enormously, and therefore had no option but to work hard and make sure that I operated in the most professional manner possible. My business has increased fivefold to the extent that I am now a CBA Diamond Broker. Yes my costs have increased substantially, however my only regret is that I should have moved into this office five years before I did! Therefore from my point of view I know that operating from an office is much more professional. I have also found over the years that people are much more comfortable coming to see me in my office rather than for me going to their home. Obviously there are very many brokers that will have a different opinion to myself and I am not in any way saying that they are being unprofessional. As I mentioned before for me it has been the most sensible thing that I have done and I love what I am doing.
  • JBJB | 17 Feb 2012, 10:43 AM Agree 0
    Become a real broker and get an office. Working from home is not seen as professional by clients or referrers.
  • Donna | 20 Feb 2012, 03:46 PM Agree 0
    I can only comment on myself, and I do not believe that my professionalism is in question by working from a home office at present as I am a mobile broker and can not see why I should pay for a commercial premises when I won't be there very often. However in saying that as more services are offered from my business, more staff will be needed, in turn more space and an office where clients can come to see consultants will become a requirement that I have planned for.
    Every persons business is different, but I will admit self discipline plays a bigger part of working from home to get the job done.
  • Richard P | 20 Feb 2012, 03:57 PM Agree 0
    JBJB - so if I work from home, I am not a 'real broker'
    So why am in writing bucket load of loans , repeat business and more refrrals then I can handle???
Post a reply