Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Poll: Is one peak broker body enough?

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 13 Sep 2011, 05:00 AM Agree 0
Would one industry body serve brokers better than two, or should the associations each retain a unique focus?
  • Annonymous | 14 Sep 2011, 10:25 AM Agree 0
    To only have one association would be like "only" having 1 supermarket or 1 fuel supplier, there would be no competition, how then do we know that the " association" would be doing right for its members. By having 2 of them i would agree with White's comments about keeping the bastards honest. Both associations have different outlooks on the industry. The FBAA has my vote on this one, i would rather stand by an association that's decision makers are still working as active brokers in this industry and understand what brokers go through every day in our businesses.
  • LYNNE COX | 14 Sep 2011, 10:57 AM Agree 0
    Whatever happened to CHOICE???
    I choose NOT TO BELONG TO THE MFAA, that is MY CHOICE.
    I VOTE THAT WE ALWAYS BE ABLE TO CHOOOSE WHICH INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION WE WISH TO BELONG TO
  • Alwyn Beardmore | 14 Sep 2011, 11:07 AM Agree 0
    I don't think that the number of bodies is the important factor. The important factor is what the body does for you. I'm a member of the MFAA and I don't see that body as doing very much at all for brokers and that's a shame.
  • Tony O | 14 Sep 2011, 11:45 AM Agree 0
    One body is too many!!!
    What do they do for us really, that gives a return for our dollars????????
    I don't think I have ever heard a question or comment from a client abotu being a member of MFAA or any industry body. Does it make a difference at all, apart from lining association spockets with money we don't have anymore.
  • Phillip Ford | 15 Sep 2011, 01:32 PM Agree 0
    I am proud to be one of the founding members of the FBAA and one of the reasons we set up the association was because the MFAA were not representing Finance Brokers, they were only interested in Mortgage Brokers. I recall the time when we had 62 members and the MFAA came to us and said that they would incorporate our members into their 'club' because we wouldn't succeed. We didn't believe that then because there was a major difference between them and us. All you have to do is look at the membership figures today and see how successful the FBAA has become. I finance vehicles and machinery so what does that have to do with a mortage? The MFAA even changed their name to pretend that they catered for every type of Broker. So to be fair, the question should be, do you prefer one body to represent ALL finance Brokers not just Mortgage Brokers? As far as the FBAA is concerned, it caters for every type of Broker not just Mortgage Brokers 'F' for Finance. On the other hand,the Mortgage Brokers Association of Australia only represents the 'M' word ....Mortgage. The choice is simple.
Post a reply