Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Property pundits shout louder against negative gearing reform as election looms

Notify me of new replies via email
Julia Corderoy | 08 Jun 2016, 08:11 AM Agree 0
As the federal election nears, cries against proposed changes to negative gearing are getting louder, with property pundits nationwide warning against the changes
  • BJ | 08 Jun 2016, 12:22 PM Agree 0
    “Don’t play with this unless you know what you’re doing.”
    This statement assumes economists, investment professionals, tax analysts and the like are complete morons.
    Being a net beneficiary of negative gearing I would think, I have a balanced view. Sure take a dummy from a baby and the result is obvious. But Ken to suggest that “they” and precisely who are “they” to which you refer and that they don’t know what they are doing. Your comment insults anyone capable of independent thought.
    Fact Check! Modelling has been completed by those with and without a vested interest, or are you honestly suggesting that the major parties simply promote the results of, dare one say, the interest groups.
    We in the finance industry jump up and down when it potentially hits our hip pocket, and the real estate industry the same boat.
    Now for the record, I am pretty damn sure irrespective of a negative gearing amendment I will continue to invest in property and doubt, despite the naysayers, that rentals will not skyrocket. Oh and by the way before you jump on the bandwagon, we held Sydney property when the last amendment and reversal took place.
    If you have some factual and definitive evidence that during the Hawke restrictions, Sydney rents increased “skyrocketed” (factual data) then post it, these rental increases CPI adjusted could not be attributed fully to gearing restrictions (again factual).
    Now, have a look at the sales data over the same period. The anticipated answer to the same is obvious Ken.
  • Gravy Express | 09 Jun 2016, 03:56 PM Agree 0
    Breaking news: Vested interests rally to defend subsidised gravy train.

"Subsidised joy riders are not taking the seats of commuters" they claim.

Station staff however think the gravy should be re-deployed to building more trains.

"subsidised joy riders are hoarding seats. Without similar assistance the commuters are forced to stand or even miss these vital trains".

It's become a life and death situation for some families.

"Everyone deserves one seat. But some are hoarding them with gov't help - instead of building more trains. Blind Freddy even saw it at Burwood just the other day. It's clearly on the wrong track" staff said.

The debate continues
  • Neville Gearless | 10 Jun 2016, 12:54 PM Agree 0
    One spruiker claims $6.5trillion of equity is at stake. Lower equity = prices go down, meaning housing might become more affordable. Another spruiker claims removing NG will result in less affordability (= increase equity, prices go up).

Speculators would love that, looks like a property flipping bonanza is coming with Labor's change to NG! This guy isn't "echoing" what first said, he's SAYING THE OPPOSITE.

So which one is it spruikers? Is your argument prices will go up, or down? You can't have it both ways.
    Contradictory much?
Post a reply