Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Proposed law could 'end workplace banter'

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 10 Jan 2013, 06:00 AM Agree 0
Mortgage brokers and other business professionals may need to zip their lips at work if new legislation makes it past a senate inquiry
  • Wilfred | 10 Jan 2013, 12:45 PM Agree 0
    Golly gosh!

Please be aware that I ran this remark via the males and females of this humble office. I did a straw poll outside on the footpath for a period of 2 hours, being extremely careful to include multi cultural ethnicity, multi denominational inclusive of atheists.

Folks considered to be extremists were also included to add balance. I point out seniors, juniors, middle aged, the unborn and multi gender inclusive of trans gender folk of various sexual orientations were also included. Cats, rats, birdlife, dogs inclusive of bitsas were also polled in order to find out if the remark "Golly gosh" was deemed to be offensive.

If by some chance, anyone out there does take offence, please accept my most humble of apologies and my profound regret.

If by chance you're seeking compensation, I regret to inform you I used a non identifying name (unless you watch SBS).
  • Julia Swanee | 10 Jan 2013, 01:53 PM Agree 0
    More 'nanny state, control-freak' legislation, with the intended end result of gagging and controlling the masses. Perhaps we need a new Berlin-style wall built here in Australia that will separate a 'free-speech open' zone from the 'control-freak government' zone.
  • Talitha | 10 Jan 2013, 04:55 PM Agree 0
    I agree totally and think it should have been done sooner! I've worked in some places where managers are absolutely horrible to other staff and nothing could ever be done because lawyers said that the business usually wins anyway. At least now the small people might have a leg to stand on.
  • Damien | 11 Jan 2013, 08:01 AM Agree 0
    I can't wait to we elect a Governmnet that gets on with dealing with the REAL issues facing this country, as this current mob are the most disappointing in my lifetime and I was born in thr 60'5
  • Wilfred | 11 Jan 2013, 02:53 PM Agree 0
    To Talitha, I'd suggest you and those subject to horrible managers exercise your rights by finding another job with nice managers. The very idea of those who feel slighted, offended, aggrieved, repulsed or insulted over a remark then being able to initiate a lawsuit against those responsible is pathetic.

What employer in his right mind would put his or her hand up to hire any staff if this nanny state legislation is enacted is beyond me.

This Country needs strong Government to support everyone, that's employer & employees who are willing to stand tall and work. If I felt the need for someone to always be holding my hand I wouldn't have climbed into the sandpit in the first place.
  • sidbroker | 15 Jan 2013, 09:50 PM Agree 0
    Lets all show our support for the idiot Fed. Govt. and get rid of them once and for all at the next election.
Post a reply