Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Report calls for review of tax exemptions on family home

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 11 Jan 2016, 07:27 AM Agree 0
The capital gains tax will be cast into the spotlight with a new proposal to tax profits on the sale of houses over $2 million
  • Ian | 11 Jan 2016, 11:20 AM Agree 0
    Of course, boosting the budget by $12bn is a great idea, except that that $12bn would have been directed to other investments in the economy which produce more economic activity.

Perhaps Governments should look to reducing the size of Government instead of looking at new and innovative ways to rip off the people in the economy who are actually having a go.
  • Robert B | 11 Jan 2016, 12:16 PM Agree 0
    Funny how they always ways consider taxing people harder as a saving. Tax is theft by any other name. In my home budget a saving is when I spend less.
  • Ken | 11 Jan 2016, 06:41 PM Agree 0
    Gov't is INCAPABLE of budgeting. Ask ANY house wife, she will show them how a budget works. How can "public servants" earn MORE than their boss(PM). It is OBVIOUS That to fix our the tax system you MUST START at the TOP and filter down to the people who count. WE ARE WAY TOO MUCH TOP HEAVY and it's bringing us down.
  • Reg Macey | 12 Jan 2016, 02:13 AM Agree 0
    Surely the proposal is to apply a capital gains tax to the amount in excess of $2 million obtained from a home's sale. It would, obviously, be totally unacceptable and and unfair to consider taxing the whole proceeds. But taxing the excess is reasonable. Something needs to be done urgently to lessen the growing divide between the wealthy home owning class and the increasing number of inevitably life time tenants.
Post a reply