Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Still room for part-time brokers - Citibank

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 17 Jul 2009, 10:20 AM Agree 0
There is still a place in the industry for part-time brokers, according to Citibank's head of mortgage distribution, Peter Hayward
  • Oz Boy | 17 Jul 2009, 11:39 AM Agree 0
    Peter that would have to be the most sensible thing I have ever heard you say, well done!
  • Neil McNamara | 17 Jul 2009, 02:41 PM Agree 0
    A Lender that is a supporter of part-time brokers, that's great news for the market place. Citibank might not always have the best priced product (at the moment); however this is the start of what I hope is a positive spin on the way Lenders treat quality brokers, albeit them part-timers.
  • James Smith | 17 Jul 2009, 08:20 PM Agree 0
    Dear me part time brokers? Thats whats wrong with the industry. We need professionals not blokes driving forklifts during the day selling loans at night. Total bollocks.
  • Oz Boy | 18 Jul 2009, 07:52 AM Agree 0
    I am surprised that a professional mortgage broker such as yourself James either can't read or lacks the ability to understand, if you read what Peter says again and perhaps take some notes, then read it again I think you will find your comments agree with the Peter Hayward's.....no bollocks here.
  • Steve Kellaway - Australian Mortgage Services | 20 Jul 2009, 09:41 AM Agree 0
    I've been a broker for nearly 10 years and while the last few have been challenging, overall it's been an excellent industry to work in. Good on you Peter for encouraging the part-timers to enter the market. Absolutely its about professionalism rather than about how many hours you put in. If you only write 1 loan a year but you do it professionally and ethically then there should always be room for you in this great industry.
  • Shaun Peters | 20 Jul 2009, 12:42 PM Agree 0
    You guys are honestly crazy. Allowing part time brokers increases fraud, unprofessionalism, rip-off merchants. mistakes/errors and overall brings the entire broker industry down.
  • QLD Broker | 20 Jul 2009, 08:27 PM Agree 0
    We no longer can accept part-time mortgage brokers if we are to be truly perceived as a professional industry. Listen to the lenders and the MFAA - they only want to deal with full-time brokers. How can you possibly be accomplished and build a business if you are part-time? This coming from Citibank - a part-time lender!
  • Bob B | 20 Jul 2009, 08:30 PM Agree 0
    Agree with James Smith & QLD Broker - we don't need part-time brokers giving us a bad name. OZBOY has no clue and for that matter neither does Citibank. Try lodging a deal with them! Full time professionals only.
  • Canadian | 21 Jul 2009, 01:07 AM Agree 0
    I think the problem with this industry is the people that think part timers are not professional. Seems to me it is the attitude and arrogance of some of the self-righteous people that think this should be the only industry where people shouldn’t work part time. So I hope you have plenty of advise to anybody having children and wishing to work part time for a few years…………..What a bunch of morons
  • James Smith | 21 Jul 2009, 10:39 AM Agree 0
    Ozboy you have no idea. You want part timers. You are a fool
  • Oz Boy | 21 Jul 2009, 12:11 PM Agree 0
    Very professional James please don't confuse "full time" with being professional and ethical.
  • Martin Rollins | 21 Jul 2009, 12:19 PM Agree 0
    Ozboy is a poster boy for guys that shouldnt be in this business.
  • Melbourne Broker | 21 Jul 2009, 01:15 PM Agree 0
    James, what if I am a full time broker that only wishes to lodge one deal a year with citibank. Sounds good to me.
  • Tuff guy | 21 Jul 2009, 01:19 PM Agree 0
    Everyone, read the article again. It says there is room for part timers so long as they are professional, ethical, complete training etc. I dare say most of you making comments here are part timers, you are clearly not that busy writing loans. Canadian makes a good point, heaven forbid you are a woman, have just had a kid and are returning to the industry. What about the long term bankers who might be 50+ who may have been retrentched and heading into retirement? I bet these guys would know 1000 times more about putting together a deal than some of our supposed full time brokers slagging off the part timers. I bet you these ex bankies wouldn't have to work too hard for clients, unlike most brokers refunding commission etc for leads. That's real professional - provide a service, gt paid and give it away!

The likes of big bad Jimmy Smith, Marty Rollins and co - go spend more time on your marketing and start becoming full time brokers yourself. You seem to have an abnormal inferiorty complex to deserved people who earn an honest dollar servicing their customers.
  • James Smith | 21 Jul 2009, 02:38 PM Agree 0
    Mel broker thats fine. I am against part timers not full timers. Where you place your business is up to you.
  • Daniel Thorpe | 24 Jul 2009, 12:36 AM Agree 0
    All I will say to the many stupid comments from James Smith et al is that as a part time broker I give full time professional service to each of my clients, not like many of the cowboy so called full timers who give part-time service to more clients. Funny thing is a s a part-timer I still write more business than many full-timers as well as passing business over to other brokers. Quality of service is what counts, not quantity. I don't really want to hear the rubbish from the Johnny come latelys know it alls such as James Smith who are dragging down the standards of an industry I have served for 40 years.
  • Martin Rollins ( The real Martin Rollins ) | 06 Aug 2009, 07:28 PM Agree 0

Folks. The comment used in this thread above that was rude, was NOT from me.

On THURSDAY NIGHT THE 6th of Aug: I just fall across this topic.

In other threads where James Smith writes (not his real name I'm sure) and stirs the pot, you will find amazingly that someone else just appears to supports James Smith's argument with character slights.

It would appear James smith has fun with role playing other people.

Signed: The real Martin Rollins

Oh... and while I'm here I would like to throw my weight behind 'Canadian' right on mate, you put it beautifully.

Pofessionalism is paramount.... not the working hours. I say that because I KNOW FOR A FACT that anyone in this business is working towards becoming part-time... and I know that when YOU GET THERE (James) it won't affect your professionalism.

Post a reply