Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Stop portraying 'doom and gloom', says FBAA

Notify me of new replies via email
Julia Corderoy | 08 Feb 2016, 08:17 AM Agree 0
The chief executive of the FBAA has expressed concern over the negative publicity coming from within the industry
  • GC | 08 Feb 2016, 08:52 AM Agree 0
    This isnt doom and gloom speak. We are talking facts. If these issues are to be rectified, they need to be discussed in an open forum as they have been. Hiding these issues is not going to help anyone and certainly wont help new entrants. They need to know the positives as well as the negatives. If the FBAA and MFAA got of their backsides and did something then we may not have be having these discussions.
  • John | 08 Feb 2016, 09:01 AM Agree 0

Are we speaking facts?
  • Sunny Coast | 08 Feb 2016, 09:04 AM Agree 0
    That's so typical. Blame the industry associations. How about you take some personal responsibility for your own business as all of us in the industry do. In the end the associations (who seem to do a good job) can't run our brokerages. Only we can do that.
  • Broker | 08 Feb 2016, 10:52 AM Agree 0
    Brokers write negative comments because we are concerned about all the negativity coming out of ASIC – and we have little faith in ASIC and the all mighty lenders to find common ground that does not result in brokers getting shafted.

Some ongoing and effective leadership from our aggregators , proactive direction and communication from the MFAA and FBAA might appease the masses in the short term ( as a broker wrote last week when it comes to brokers having a voice, we are essentially a rabble - and that comment is correct) .

How did we get here - where the very organisation that we are licenced with is doing whatever is possible to destabilise this fantastic industry and you get the feeling that our associations and aggregators will have little influence in whatever the outcome is.

Uncertainly will dominate until this sh&%fight ends.

• Tim H | 08 Feb 2016, 02:34 PM Agree 0
    GC as a member of the FBAA I have met Peter White and heard the efforts he is putting in for our industry and whilst not a member of the MFAA I have through my aggregator heard Siobhan Hayden express her views on the industry and the work she has already done and intends to do for we brokers. Both certainly seem to have brokers' interests at the forefront.

My concerns, and maybe Peter White's although he diplomatically did not say it, is where lender, aggregator and franchise heads are constantly out there talking concerns around commissions, reviews of commission structures and making "it's done differently in other parts of the world" comments.

Peter, I understand, still operates his own brokerage and change/reduction in commission structures affects him like it does any other broker. He is not saying don't discuss the issue of commission, what he is saying is change the discussion to one that doesn't talk down our industry to potential new brokers. As we all know you can make a very good living out of finance broking if you work at it. That is the message that should be going out.
  • Steve McClure | 11 Feb 2016, 12:16 PM Agree 0
    Tim H, well said (again). Peter is not advocating censorship. If you have a problem, take it to your association and it will be heard - don't waste a good idea on a blog. I wonder if those that complain have taken the step to submit their issues of contention and ideas to resolve them? Or, if they've taken the time to read or hear what the associations are doing?

Siobhan and Peter are always trying understand our views when they represent us. I sincerely believe they've demonstrated that. In fact, I think its time that as brokers, we all grew up a little and dealt with the realities of today's regulatory & commercial environment. Sure, strongly address your issues directly, object and dispute, but don't fight battles out in the street, its ugly. For example, if we as consumers saw companies publicly fighting Australian food standards, we'd think less of the companies, not the food standards.
Post a reply