Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Tasmanian broker says fires may hold a spark of opportunity

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 08 Jan 2013, 08:00 AM Agree 0
Parts of Tasmania have been devastated by fires over the past few days, but one Hobart-based mortgage broker says locals are trying to stay optimistic
  • BradQ | 08 Jan 2013, 08:46 AM Agree 0
    How do you spell tasmania?
  • Mackenzie McCarty | 08 Jan 2013, 08:56 AM Agree 0
    Oh dear,

Looks like the yankee hasn't had her cup of coffee yet this morning. I give you all full permission to make as many "dumb American" jokes as you like - but just for today :-)! Note to self: This will also serve as a reminder to double-check spell-check; apparently, Bill Gates thinks Tasmania is spelled with a "z" as well. Have a great day, everyone!
  • GN | 08 Jan 2013, 08:58 AM Agree 0
    Note to the Editor:
    When I went to school it was TASMANIA
    When did it become Tazmania? LOL
  • Allan Faint | 08 Jan 2013, 09:04 AM Agree 0
    I asume tradies will get some work out of this but insurance premiums will probably be increased. My concern will be those in the 50 plus age group who may be affected by the not unsuitable loan criteria, you know those who are not being descriminated against because of age. There will be some I am sure, even with insurance, who will have to change their home loans or take out new ones to get the house sorted. how are lenders going to look at these people, are they going to knock back the loans due to no loan escape plan, considering rentals or caravans will be more suitable for their long term. Looking forward to some rain to clear the air of smoke. TASMANIA!!
  • thomas | 08 Jan 2013, 09:56 AM Agree 0
    Who spells Tasmania with a 'Z'?
  • Duncan | 08 Jan 2013, 10:25 AM Agree 0
    If you could grow an economy by burning down buildings and rebuilding them, we'd be doing it. Such a silly statement, something a banker would say.
    Why don't you go burn down your house and help our economy Mackenzie?
  • BradQ | 08 Jan 2013, 11:47 AM Agree 0
    haha... good work Mackenzie!
  • VBLENDAHAND | 08 Jan 2013, 12:05 PM Agree 0
    Reminds me of an old footy chant, "Razza Razza Razza whiskas on ya Tazza" ..... hope our fellow Tassie brokers can still raise a laugh after what they have been through. Go well.
  • Billyboy | 08 Jan 2013, 12:06 PM Agree 0
    To Duncan, in fact it was Richard Denholm who made the statement that it may be good for the economy (no Mackenzie).

Not being in his position, it's hard for me to comment; but I assume as a local he's looking for any positives that can come from this disaster. We shouldn't judge him on that.

In terms of 'Tazmania', isn't that a fictional land where the Tassie Devil comes from. Been watching too much Looney Tunes Mackenzie!!!
  • Wozza | 09 Jan 2013, 11:40 AM Agree 0
    I suggest your editor demonstrates a bit more compassion instead of trying to be clever with a headline.
Post a reply