Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The future is saying 'university degree'

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 29 Jul 2011, 09:00 AM Agree 0
University degrees are the future, and reluctant brokers should "listen to what the future is saying to them" according to Liberty Financial's John Mohnacheff
  • countrybroker | 29 Jul 2011, 11:27 AM Agree 0
    I have known John for a long time and he is an innovator and thinker. I believe he is plainly wrong ! The industry needs to promote Advanced diplomas and at least 7 yaers experience to be able to attain the top level of membership for The MFAA , entry needs to be a certIV and then diploma and then advanced diploma, with a stron emphasis on the technical aspects of the industry like valuations , lending law and financial analysis in the advanced diploma.
    I cannot see whow an entrant can see a clear path of advancment in the industry if we insist on a degree as sentry level . Frankly in my years of banking and broking mist entrants wity a degree were usless and needed to be retrained , it is better to have gradual academic qualification PLUS industry experience. Professional Brokers are EXPERIENCED BROKERS , he knows that.
  • Northern Broker | 29 Jul 2011, 11:37 AM Agree 0
    These comments verge on insulting and I'm trying to resist being offended. I am a broker of 15 years and a lender of 20 years before that. Is he trying to tell me that a newcomer to the industry with a 4 year Uni Degree would be a better operator than me. I just wrote a loan with Liberty, and it will be the last one if their Chief has that kind of opinion of his broker partners.
  • Perth Broker | 29 Jul 2011, 12:07 PM Agree 0
    I just wished for once these lenders would start concentrating on providing us with a decent service instead of continuing try to push their own personal agendas and re invent the wheel. Who cares if a 15 year old can complete cert 4 - we are not talking about that. The valuations industry has gone down the track of Diplomas and look where that has got us. 21 year olds who have never bought a house trying to value properties. We will end up with the same 21 year olds who have never bought a house trying to guide people as to what their finance reqauirements are. I can see what that will do to PI premiums.
  • also insulted | 29 Jul 2011, 01:04 PM Agree 0
    I think this is another example of someone speaking about an industry they know little or nothing about. I don't believe that a 15 year old can be assessed as competent without frauding the evidence. For example, part of the assessment requires evidence of actual experience over a period of time. It's easy enough to correctly guess multiple choice questions but I'm not aware of any Registered Training Organisation offering such limited assessment strategy. It is also rather misleading to quote your son's age as a definer because it neglects to value his environmental learning. It's a bit akin to reporting that the son of a medical practitioner has more advanced knowledge of medical terminology than someone without such influence. There is no doubt that the Cert IV is a level that can be learned. That's why it is deemed entry level. That doesn't diminish the value of experience of hands on brokering. I am an educator so of course I support on-going learning and also as a professional I support continuous development. However, demeaning the education standard currently advised is not the way to support improvement. It simply creates a sense of the education having no real value. Product issuers, like yourself could help to improve education and skill standards by supporting the industry participants with quality training funded by you.
  • Baz from Brisbane | 30 Jul 2011, 11:53 AM Agree 0
    So every one in Liberty will now have to have a degree!!
    I am an ex-secondary school teacher from S.A. and yes I am tertiary educated. I left teaching because it was run by academic idiots
    I then spent 25 years in the Oil Industry up to the level of General Manager. In the 80's and 90's some genius decided we should only employ university graduates. This was an absolute disaster and we went back to employing staff with a satisfactory profile for the position and set up suitable training programs for each individual
  • patrick | 01 Aug 2011, 04:57 PM Agree 0
    I think a Masters degree follow by a PHD should be the minimum... After all, mortgages are soooooo complicated aren't they?
Post a reply