Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The tattooed broker: Because ink isn't just for loan documents anymore

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 16 Aug 2013, 08:00 AM Agree 0
Tattoos are no longer the solitary realm of sailors and ne'er-do-wells. You might be surprised who's sporting ink in the broking industry
  • Regional Broker | 16 Aug 2013, 10:23 AM Agree 0
    Ask yourself is a 55 year old conservative investor in Houses going to feel comfortable with a broker with a full sleeve - probably not .
    If you are an AFL Football star, probably from the pies , Hawks or the tigers, who is looking for a RESI Investment you will probably relate well. Who is in the Majority?
  • Melb broker | 16 Aug 2013, 10:30 AM Agree 0
    Great article! This article could extend to lawyers, doctors etc. I also have multiple tattoos which are not visible when wearing a suit. I would never judge a client on appearance and would expect the same courtesy
  • Right Hand | 16 Aug 2013, 10:37 AM Agree 0
    Good on both of them. As a female In this industry I to also sport works of art. Agreed that none of them can be seen under work attire but they all have meaning and I do not believe that it is going to change whether a consumer would chose me over another broker or vice versa because I have tattoos.
    It isn't just the men who have tattoos in this industry and it is personal choice if we have them or not.
    Do we judge the conservatives for what they wear or how they dress, No. So why should we be judged because we chose to express ourselves through Tattoos or other works of Art.
  • Casey | 16 Aug 2013, 10:50 AM Agree 0
    I have them but not so obvious. I have a new one coming that a polo won't cover up. By why does it matter? I haven't worn a suit in 4 years and business keeps on growing.

If people won't deal with me because I wear my heart on my sleeve, then they aren't a client for me.
  • Kym Dalton | 16 Aug 2013, 10:51 AM Agree 0
    I'm 56! - no investor in houses should or would know that I'm a fan of body art. People's hobbies and interests are varied and sometimes unusual. I bet there's lots of brokers out there with hobbies on the edge that no-one knows about!
  • Melissa J | 16 Aug 2013, 11:09 AM Agree 0
    I have a full inner forearm tattoo always visible, 15x8cm.
    Most clients don't really notice or say anything, or makes a great talking piece (I know they don't notice, because when I see them at a later point in time they ask, when did you get your tattoo - you didn't have that last time).
    I have other industry professionals refer even more business to me and the clients love the work I do for them.
    No issues here. PS I'm a female broker
  • mac | 16 Aug 2013, 01:15 PM Agree 0
    bogans ;)
  • QEDRisk | 16 Aug 2013, 02:07 PM Agree 0
    Saw the headline and just knew it had to feature Dalts!
  • Incognito | 16 Aug 2013, 05:41 PM Agree 0
    I like my skin the way it came.

I can wear different clothes & shoes if i want to express myself or be a tough guy.

I'm glad my 20's didn't get the better of me.
  • Papery | 19 Aug 2013, 10:06 AM Agree 0
    Hmmmm.. to ink or not to ink.....an individual choice I think.....Just hope youre as happy as your choices in say 40 years time when fashions change....the wallpaper in a 70s kitchen just doesnt seem right today! And from hat I hear its not such a big dea today to get them lasered off & I hear there may be semi- permanent tat on the way....lasts say 2 years....
  • Glenn | 22 Aug 2013, 10:07 AM Agree 0
    As a holder of some ink myself, I am proud to discuss them, but only should the conversation go that way. I have found that if I have a client that has tattoos then generally the conversation will go that way. It has helped me get a few loans that I may not have gotten otherwise. Revealing the tattoos is my decision and no one who meets me for the first time would have any idea.
Post a reply