Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

​Underqualified real estate agents: Are brokers any better?

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 13 Dec 2013, 08:00 AM Agree 0
Following a real estate professional’s criticism of low minimum standards amongst agents, brokers have questioned whether their own industry is really any better.
  • observer | 13 Dec 2013, 09:28 AM Agree 0
    Our aggregation group has an internal forum (as do many others I would guess) when you see some of the questions that get asked on the forum, it makes you wonder how these brokers clients perceive them, because the questions display a very low level of practical knowledge or problem solving ability, or even the ability to use the aggregation groups software. Many of the experienced (often with an industry background) brokers that i have spoken to wonder what our industry will look like when this generation of brokers retires. There will always be a certain level of people who will come into the industry and do very well, but it won't be all entrants, by a long shot.
    I am a supporter of making the industry harder to get into and much more emphasis placed on competency based training rather than just passing a test and unleashing yourself on the public.
  • Broker | 13 Dec 2013, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    This educational drive becomes rather boring ( PD days etc) and often somewhat insulting for the old timers with heaps of knowledge and plenty of real experiences. It’s a bit like throwing the preps in with the year 11’s.

It never ceases to amaze me how little I know ,or retain, after 11 years as Finance Broker and too many PD days to remember!

• Agree with 'Broker'! | 13 Dec 2013, 02:53 PM Agree 0
    33 years in the industry, and I still here this. Seems like a lot of people making a quid out of selling courses. If you run out of courses to make money off, just start leaking stories about needing more education.
  • keep learning | 13 Dec 2013, 05:42 PM Agree 0
    Having completed both the Cert IV a and the upgrade to the Diploma, after already having a degree in finance and having worked in a branch, I found them both fairly easy to cruise through, however, I do feel that it is important to confirm that people have at least a basic level of understanding before they can be accredited. While we may find these courses very easy, it would be challenging for someone who was brand new to the industry.

Is a four day course enough to get you where you need to be? No, but you can at least have an understanding of what lies ahead, and learn on the job. Hence the requirement for 2 years experience before working on your own.

Over the past 6 years, I have personally mentored, and seen others mentor several new brokers, and perhaps there should be a higher standard of deciding who qualifies as a mentor, or even a structured system for it. While some of us take the time to teach, others just throw them in the deep end

I know brokers who think that 'they don't need PD days', maybe coincidentally, the same brokers complain about how bad the banks are, and how hard it is to get loans approved, and how crap a month they've had.... I find PD days great, whether it's getting an update on whats happening in the industry, or getting some knowledge from the guest speakers, I find them valuable and enjoyable, but that could be that I am with the right aggregator :)
Post a reply