Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Westpac to offshore mortgage service jobs

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 14 Feb 2013, 07:03 AM Agree 0
Wespac is considering a move which could see 134 SA-based jobs, including those in its mortgage services department, off-shored to Asia
  • Sue Johnson | 14 Feb 2013, 10:39 AM Agree 0
    When Westpac made my job redundant in 2010 I received no support and not one single opportunity for redeployment. But thankyou, getting out was the best thing that ever happened to me. Take this as a positive!!!!
  • Broker | 14 Feb 2013, 10:43 AM Agree 0
    What great Aussie corporate citizens!!
  • NoTimeLikeTheFuture | 14 Feb 2013, 10:54 AM Agree 0
    Grief, what are brokers to think of Westpac.

First they started off the commission cuts in 2009..

Now there's added fisk of frustration as our deals are handled by off-shore processing staff.

Is banking that unprofitable in Australia..?
  • Greg of Perth | 14 Feb 2013, 11:21 AM Agree 0
    This smacks of Homeside when NAB bought the ill-fated US operation and attempted to do exactly what Westpac is reportedly thinking of.
    And we all remember the public backlash and the multi-billion dollars cost to NAB.
    Obviously Westpac hasn't learned from history, so good luck with that.
  • martyn noakes | 14 Feb 2013, 11:41 AM Agree 0
    Offshoring = another reason to not use WBC?
  • CH | 14 Feb 2013, 12:21 PM Agree 0
    Recent dealings with offshore lending reps has left me underwhelmed. The people are no doubt doing their jobs but if you run into a problem - forget it! Often their training doesn't allow for problems.
    I have also had feedback from a few clients of late concerning the difficulty in communicating issues.
    I cannot help but wonder, and even feel a little sad about why we can't keep the jobs on-shore, even setting up operations in some rural areas which could really do with employment oppotunities.
  • Haydn Cooper, Min-it Software | 14 Feb 2013, 12:41 PM Agree 0
    All credit providers, including those of the banks, are required to comply with the NCCP Act. If what the FSU has been allegedly told by Westpac is true and its current employees lack “capability, agility and experience”, if they are involved in any credit activity such as its mortgage team is, then ASIC should be investigating them because the bank is admitting its non-compliance.

If its Australian employees are non-compliant as the bank has no one in Australia to train thems, who will they use to train the overseas ones?
  • Country Broker | 14 Feb 2013, 01:34 PM Agree 0
    Hope they do not do it .The ANZ Bangalore experience is not good , frequently need to ask staff to slow down so I can undersatnd them , and the staff in many cases DO NOt know what they are doing , creates additional work for brokers for no additional payment !!!
  • Richard | 15 Feb 2013, 06:41 PM Agree 0
    Another reason to add to the list for not dealing with Westpac. Greed is apparently still good in some Corporations.
  • Bill Yanko | 16 Feb 2013, 10:23 AM Agree 0
    If ever I ring Westpac and/or their mortgage centre and get an foreign call centre I will change banks immediately.
    I have been with WBC for more than 6 years.
    I have too much tied up with WBC.
    The risk of my information and documentation going overseas to a third party is too great for me.
    WBC, taking jobs overseas is potentially a double edge sword for you. Taking jobs out of an economy will take money out of the economy, taking money out of the economy will reduce the $ required for bank services; accounts, credit cards, loans, etc. Hence no need for a bank.
  • Martin | 10 Dec 2015, 04:27 PM Agree 0
    Ever since this forum began almost every 3 Months Westpac takes approximately 16 Australian jobs from lockleys SA and sends those jobs to India. It is the 10/12/2015 and I am now one of those Australians loosing a job. I worked there for 20 years.
  • Dave Robinson | 11 Dec 2015, 09:27 AM Agree 0
    Hang in there Martin, hopefully you will find another job especially with your experience. Head up mate, you will fine. ;-)
  • Regional Broker | 11 Dec 2015, 09:58 AM Agree 0
    Martin hang in there, contact as many brokers you know as possible, 20 years experience equals l employability, once you get re-established you will not look back.
  • Haydn Cooper, Min-it Software | 11 Dec 2015, 10:08 AM Agree 0
    You'd think by now that the banks would have learnt that local knowledge and experience is a far bigger asset than was first imagined under globalisation. Off-shore job outsourcing might save money in the short term but the quality of the work undertaken often leaves a lot to be desired as we all know. As Dave has said, Martin, hang in there and best of luck finding a new job.
  • Anne Brisbane | 11 Dec 2015, 11:31 AM Agree 0
    Westpac must surely realize it is the Australian Public that support the bank not the Indian or Philippines public - shame on you if you are using the excuse staff are not skilled enough surely this is an admission of Westpac shortcomings in training their staff to the required standard. The current Government need to look at changing the rules that all banks, Telstra etc have to show they can find more skilled staff offshore and keep our jobs here in Australia.
  • Gold Coast Broker | 11 Dec 2015, 11:55 AM Agree 0
    Well, well well!!! another move by WBC to keep their profits up at the cost of Aussie workers. i personally am slowly refinancing all of my WBC clients to an Aussie bank with Aussie staff. I am just so over calling WBC and getting a Filipino or an Indian who has no idea what I am talking about? + they talk over you and do not listen. WBC are saying lacking “capability, agility and experience.” well why can't they simply retrain the staff rather than moving jobs offshore, what the lack of training and lacking “capability, agility and experience.” these Indian call center staff who trains them?? WBC go to hell, the best thing that can happen is your share holders sell of and then you go bankrupt. I personally use CBA a lot as at least i can speak with an Aussie. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi,Oi,Oi!!!
  • Eric Lim | 11 Dec 2015, 12:55 PM Agree 0
    So "Westpac's head of group media relations, Paul Marriage, stresses that the decision is still in its gestation period".
    Well I would suggest Westpac undertake a termination procedure of this idea, before it falls fowl of Public sentiment very much like NAB did with the ill fated purchase of HomeSide Lending.
    That was seen as the "be-all answer to their problems" only to land them in muliti Billion Dollar hot water...Yet no one in their Senior ranks suffered, apart from their Shareholders...
Post a reply