Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Whittingham to front court on 50 charges

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 12 Feb 2015, 08:30 AM Agree 0
Banned trail book dealer Mark Whittingham will today front Melbourne Magistrates Court charged with 50 counts of Obtain Financial Advantage by Deception
  • Charles | 12 Feb 2015, 08:52 AM Agree 0
    Finally! I hope he goes away for a very long time.
  • Chris Szigeti | 12 Feb 2015, 08:58 AM Agree 0
    About time!!
  • Clarke Kent | 12 Feb 2015, 09:00 AM Agree 0
    I hope he gets to share a cell with a couple of lonely men.
  • Goran | 12 Feb 2015, 09:22 AM Agree 0
    If he is banned why is he still sending me email regarding trail book for sale? And his office staff told me that he is the owner.
  • Charley | 12 Feb 2015, 09:23 AM Agree 0
    Finally. I can't believe it took this long.
  • Patrick | 12 Feb 2015, 09:39 AM Agree 0
    I believe he has been granted bail!!! If they have not had the wisdom to forfeit his passport he will be long gone by the time the wheels of justice turn. This guy understands the system which protects the individual in a civil society. He is a parasite.
  • Andrew | 12 Feb 2015, 09:40 AM Agree 0
    The MFAA was warned about him 10 years ago. They did nothing. 10 years later he mat get two years and come out to be with his strangely rich wife. Hope she moves on!
  • Well informed | 12 Feb 2015, 10:06 AM Agree 0
    Where is a picture of this thief?
  • Dave Robinson | 12 Feb 2015, 10:11 AM Agree 0
    Anyone going to the court house? Maybe a writer from ABO?
  • Dan - Melbourne | 12 Feb 2015, 10:33 AM Agree 0
    It's Australia!! - he'll get a slap on the wrist and that's all. He deserves time in a cell with Bubba.....
  • FRED | 12 Feb 2015, 10:39 AM Agree 0
    At last, let us all attend the court case and enjoy, yes at last he has FINALLY been caught, cost me a fortune
  • Broker | 12 Feb 2015, 10:39 AM Agree 0
    All well and good , but will this actually stop him?

Did he pay the 200K last time?

I thought he set up a company in his wife's name, no doubt he will appear again under another company structure.

Only a long term stint in the big house will stop this guy.
  • James | 12 Feb 2015, 10:48 AM Agree 0
    A little slow to act but better late than never.

Seems strange how the authorities seem to procrastinate on the harder or bigger fish...
  • Jules Corderoy - AB Journalist | 12 Feb 2015, 11:13 AM Agree 0
    @Dave Robinson, yes, the editor of Australian Broker is down in VIC at the courthouse as we speak!
  • Felicity Heffernan | 12 Feb 2015, 11:21 AM Agree 0
    The Victorian Police fraud squad deserves a big Thank You for the work that they put in to this case.
    Lock him up and lose the key!
  • Robbo | 12 Feb 2015, 11:25 AM Agree 0
    I tried to alert AB to this years ago - but they couldn't even be bothered to either take my call or return my call about it.

As one of the many swindled by this guy, all I have to say to Mr Whittingham is - "Don't forget to pack your toothbrush!"

I hope he realises that his kids are old enough to use Google now. I bet they must be real proud of their dad.
  • Tony Broker. | 12 Feb 2015, 11:44 AM Agree 0
    Had to stop my business partner wanting to go to Melb and enforcing his own justice.
    Lets hope we get a sympathetic Judge for the broker industry.
  • Tim | 12 Feb 2015, 12:03 PM Agree 0
    Only 50 charges when we have been reading for so long about this crook and his bad business practices. May I suggest anyone reading this forum who has been bitten by this bloke contact the Victorian Fraud Squad and add their complaints to the list.
    Get him in jail and hopefully the longer the list of charges the longer this grub stays behind bars.
  • Anthony Crook | 12 Feb 2015, 12:19 PM Agree 0
    I successfully had a judgement against him 6 years ago but I've given up all hope of recouping any funds. They guy is an absolute thief - after the judgement he then prospects me.
  • FRED | 12 Feb 2015, 02:02 PM Agree 0
    Please give us an up date of what happened to at the court, love to know could not attend as I am overseas ....someone please tell me ....BUBBA is waiting the small house
  • Wet Lettuce Leaf | 12 Feb 2015, 05:29 PM Agree 0
    Just shows how powerless or ineffective ASIC has been over 10 yrs. It's also taken the best part of 2/3 years for the Fraud squad to lay charges. Our laws seem to protect thieves rather than the consumer! What's the bet he gets a lenient magistrate who takes pity on him! Why is this only being heard in the Magistrates court anyway? Surely he has stolen millions?
  • Huh? | 13 Feb 2015, 08:17 AM Agree 0
    AB has been reporting on this guy for years. Not sure where you get off saying you alerted them to it or that they ignored the issue
  • Macca | 02 Mar 2015, 06:33 PM Agree 0
    Sounds like just another ASIC Matt George case. Do nothing really, impart pretend sanctions on these crooks then let them keep trading. Matt George of Money Choice was banned in May 2013 but according to his web page updated in 2015 he is still trading in all aspects of his business as the Managing Director. How does that work, still no compensation to his many victims, no jail time for his fraud and worst of all no follow up in regard to his compliance to the sanctions applied by ASIC by ASIC. So go on brokers do as you please have no fear because even though there appears to be rules in place they are not real. This fellow Whittingham must be a real bad boy if the state and federal police got involved coz they didn't even look at Matt George, but then again he probably only defrauded a couple of hundred people for a mere 100ish Mill so not worth worrying about I suppose. Good luck with this bastard folks just in a long line of crooked brokers
  • John Robbo | 03 Mar 2015, 11:15 AM Agree 0
    @HUH? About 2 years ago when he started selling off the leads again - there was a period when AB had little or nothing on him. I was defrauded during this time and tried to contact AB several times. I left SEVERAL messages and followed up AB several times. Not one single returned phone call from AB. Nor did I say that I was the on who alerted AB to it in the first place - simply that I wanted to let them know of his recent activities. Nor did I say that they ignored the issue - I said that they ignored my calls to them about his more recent swindles. Those are the facts. It is not a matter of "getting off" on anything!
  • Michael Kent | 05 Mar 2015, 04:56 PM Agree 0
    The fact this guy has FIFTY counts against him speaks volumes. Surely the first ten who were sadly ripped off would have complained and given enough evidence to get him shut down.

It is the same with car thieves who have 50 convictions, do you think a slap on the wrist is a deterrent to these people?

If they have got away with ripping people off FIFTY times and made $500k profit then getting fined $100k is no big deal is it?

Just like drug dealers who play the game and go through the revolving door of our joke of a legal system. Some have been busted close to 100 times!

Post a reply