Australian Broker forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Work from home brokers treated with 'suspicion'

Notify me of new replies via email
Australian Broker | 08 Jul 2013, 07:00 AM Agree 0
Those who work from home are likely to be seen as 'cheating the system' according to new research
  • Coast Broker | 08 Jul 2013, 11:25 AM Agree 0
    I work from home with a separate Home Office and have many clients come to see me. Only issue I find with having a home office is it can be too convenient and you can easily work longer hours because your office is just downstairs. Unless you part of a large franchise group that pours a lot into advertising and you are writing a lot of business to justify being a member of one of the large franchise businesses that take a lot of your commission anyway that may be a different story.
  • longneck legend | 08 Jul 2013, 11:54 AM Agree 0
    This bloke sounds like he just likes relaxin'
  • Wayne | 08 Jul 2013, 12:50 PM Agree 0
    We run an office and our client base are professionals and they come and see us - they simply won't deal with home based brokers. So as a home based broker you might get the mum and dad business but you won't be getting the professional client base.
  • NoTimeLikeTheFuture | 08 Jul 2013, 01:56 PM Agree 0
    I worked from home for years. Now i love going to my office every day. I feel like I'm cheating or shirking if i work from home now.

Perhaps that will change and it's just a lifestage thing.

It's nice to have to option of both though.
  • Coast Broker | 08 Jul 2013, 02:45 PM Agree 0
    Sorry I don't think myself or the Broker in the article are relaxing because they work from home. Lets face it most potential clients are seen at their home or work anyway so where your office is does not come into the picture. I cannot justify paying rent for a Commercial Office when I would not see an increase in client base because some people think they are seen as more professional because they have a Commercial Office. If you want to eat into your turnover and pay rent fine but with my business model I cannot justify paying rent and would consider paying rent as way to your business not survive during tough times. Lets face it we are a surface driven business anyway. By the way whilst working from a Home Office I still have my share of Professional clients as I service them no differently then a Broker working out of a Commercial Office.
    It is all about choice.
  • Melb broker | 08 Jul 2013, 07:11 PM Agree 0
    Wayne, you sound like the conveyancers who like to pass off as solicitors
  • Aaron | 08 Jul 2013, 08:54 PM Agree 0
    I work from home my hours are 9am to about 7pm I have 20min coffee break and 40min lunch I wake up put the business shirt and tie on my pants are ironed once 9am comes thats it, my first client is ready to get under way I have background music on every client have said they feel relaxed coming to my home office.
  • Broker | 08 Jul 2013, 11:42 PM Agree 0
    I do both , no worries at all for me
  • Papery | 09 Jul 2013, 06:50 AM Agree 0
    Flexibility & lifestyle choices. Bolted to a chair for 8 hours a day is no fun. Why pay rent for business premises if you don't need to. We offered clients the option of flexibility, ie they don't have to confirm to the bankys appointment diary. Are we now saying brokers time is just as inflexible.
  • Casey | 09 Jul 2013, 09:22 AM Agree 0
    We work from a home office for the last 3 years. Massive productivity gains, which has resulted in more clients and larger turnover with lower overheads. I see my kids in the morning, when they come home from school and always have time to take them to their sports and the like. My family is happy because I'm there when it matters.

As for the client base it draws? At the end of the day people will deal with you for you. My client base is predominantly professional. Most are actually jealous because of my work arrangements. And if they don't want to deal with me because I don't have an office? Then they are not a client for me.
  • oldBroker | 09 Jul 2013, 10:47 AM Agree 0
    @Casey... good comment. This debate is like saying Steve Jobs shouldn't be taken seriously because he wore black turtlenecks and jeans.
  • Casey | 09 Jul 2013, 11:21 AM Agree 0
    @oldBroker... I've actually taken some of Steve's fashion sense. I haven't worn a suit for a client in over 4 years. Jeans, shirt and jacket with shoes. No one has ever complained and never lost business because of it. It's all about how you relate and how you deliver.
Post a reply