The MFAA has released a list of tips for brokers looking to make the most of social media site Twitter, saying the popular online network provides an effective ‘micro-blogging’ platform – but that getting it right isn’t always easy.
Twitter users currently generate around 340 million ‘tweets’ per day and the platform is one of the ten most visited websites on the internet. Here are the MFAA’s tips for making Twitter work for you and your business:
1. Follow the 80/20 rule - 80% of tweets should be valuable to your followers, 20% is acceptable for your own promotion.
2. Include hashtags in your tweets to indicate specific topics and themes.
3. Don't misuse hashtags. Overuse will dilute your message and effectiveness.
4. Be consistent. Don't leave it too long between tweets, stay front of mind with at least a tweet a day.
5. Share valuable content. If you stumble upon something that you think your followers would find useful, share it!
6. Have a personality. Twitter is a great place to engage and build relationships, so make sure you have your own voice.
7. Have a conversation. Followers are more likely to form a connection with you if you share a two-way dialogue.
8. Stay on brand. Make your tweets personable but be professional and polished at all times.
9. Create your own content and share with your followers.
10. Measure. Use performance indicators such as short links that you can track and benchmarking tools such as Klout.