Total property loss from the New South Wales bushfires reached $138m in value on Friday, with the Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) reporting that 1,011 claims have been filed following the disaster.
ICA CEO, Rob Whelan, says owners are starting to return to their properties following many days of challenging weather conditions and high fire danger.
“It’s important for people to consider the advice of local authorities when returning to their properties,” he says.
“While claims lodgements have stabilised over the past couple of days, we expect these to begin climbing again as returning residents assess any property damage.”
Last week, the ICA sent a team of disaster specialists to the Springwood recovery centre (church hall, 160 Macquarie Rd) to help bushfire policyholders with questions about their insurance claims.
“Insurance assessors have reviewed a number of properties with some policyholders already receiving pay-outs from their home or contents insurance. Assessors will continue this review process and also begin inspecting damage in areas not previously accessible,” says Whelan.
The ICA’s disaster hotline − 1800 734 621 − can help affected residents who are not sure which insurer they are with, or who have general inquiries about the claims process.