Broker loans crack $90bn at NAB

The major bank’s half yearly financial results show upward growth in broker numbers, loan lodgments and net profits

Broker loans crack $90bn at NAB



National Australia Bank (NAB) has shown some strong growth in its most recent half yearly financial results released yesterday (4 May).

Underlying profit rose by 2.6% from $4.95bn to $5.08bn between March 2016 and March 2017, while cash earnings increased by 2.3% from $3.22bn to $3.29bn in the same time period.

Volumes of loans originated through the broker channel rose from $84.8bn to $92.5bn from March 2016 to March 2017 – an increase of 9% – which included white-label products issued through Advantedge.

The number of brokers under the NAB-owned aggregators of Choice, FAST and PLAN also increased although at a slower rate. In the six months prior to 31 March 2017, broker numbers in these channels rose by 147 (or 3%) from 4,299 to 4,446.

A full NAB product suite was launched to brokers in September 2016. Additionally, the bank said it was providing an improved on-boarding experience for broker customers.

The Australian market share for housing lending at NAB was 15.6% as of March 2017.

Responsible lending

Describing its responsible house lending practices, NAB said it placed a maximum 70% loan to valuation ration (LVR) on certain ‘high risk’ postcodes while using a differentiated pricing structure based on both loan purpose and repayment type.

NAB applies a 7.25% floor interest rate plus a 2.25% serviceability buffer.

For non-residents, the bank had restricted lending to less than 3% of its total housing portfolio while applying a maximum LVR of 60%.

Regarding interest-only lending, NAB expected to meet the 30% limit imposed by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) within the agreed-to timeframe. However, 41% of all new lending at NAB was interest only in the March 2017 quarter.

Interest only loans with NAB automatically convert to principal and interest with the bank giving a maximum time limit of five years to owner occupiers and 10 years for investors. Loan serviceability for interest-only loans is also assessed on a principal and interest basis, the bank said.

Mortgage breakdown

In total, 57.7% of all home loans at NAB were owner occupier with the remaining 42.3% going to investors. This can be broken up further as follows:
  • Owner occupier principal and interest (44.9%)
  • Owner occupier interest only (12.8%)
  • Investor principal and interest (17.0%)
  • Investor interest only (25.3%)
Investor and owner-occupier loans both increased by 6% on a year-on-year basis.

Looking at each state, NAB wrote 37% of its mortgages in NSW/ACT, 31% in Victoria, 17% in Queensland, 10% in Western Australia and 5% combined in South Australia and the Northern Territory.

Related stories:

LMI provider sees 22.4% drop in net profit

One in two ANZ loans written by brokers

Mortgage group’s loan settlements up 19%

Keep up with the latest news and events

Join our mailing list, it’s free!