Number of million dollar suburbs surges

by Julia Corderoy05 Aug 2016
More than 600 suburbs in Australia have a median value of at least $1million, up by 29% over the year, according to research by CoreLogic.

Houses, with 570 suburbs listed (93%), dominated the million dollar median group while the remaining 43 (7%) were for units. There are 613 suburbs in total that have reached the million dollar median. 

Research analyst Cameron Kusher noted a “significant rise” in suburbs with a median value of at least $1 million over recent years.

“In fact, the number of suburbs has increased by 125% over the past 3 years,” he said.

Tasmania was the only state in Australia where no suburbs reached a median value of at least $1 million. 

In New South Wales, the proportion of suburbs with a median value of at least $1 million has increased from 59.7% of national suburbs in 2008 to 68.2% in both 2015 and 2016. Victoria also increased its proportion of million dollar suburbs from 13.6% in 2008 to 16.6% in 2016. 

Queensland and Western Australia experienced a large decline in the proportions of suburbs with a median value of at least $1 million between 2008 and 2016.

“The data highlights the bracket creep that has occurred over the housing growth cycle, and how housing affordability in NSW (Sydney) and to a lesser degree Vic (Melbourne) has deteriorated,” Kusher said.

“An increasing number of suburbs in these two states now have a median value of at least $1 million.”

A list of the top 25 suburbs achieving the highest median values not surprisingly include those located in prime locations such as Sydney’s waterfront and the inner-city suburbs. 

Toorak in VIC, with a number nine ranking, and Peppermint Grove in WA, ranked number 17, are the only two suburbs shown that are not located in Sydney. 

For units, Sydney’s Dawes Point is the only suburb to make into the list of top 25.

The most expensive QLD suburb is Tenerife with a median house value of $1,644,643 while SA’s most expensive suburb is Springfield with a median house value of $1,737,499.

The NT’s most expensive suburb is Larrakeyah with a median house value of $1,196,987 and the ACT’s most expensive suburb is Forrest with a median value of $2,067,813 for houses.
 

COMMENTS