The 2019 Finnie Awards celebrated more than just the best in the sector; the event served as an emblem of the wider success and growth evidenced in the fintech space this year.
“We had a record number of entries, up 30% from last year. Tickets to the event sold out within a fortnight. For the first time in the Finnies three-year history, we had a waiting list for further ticket sales,” said FinTech Australia GM Rebecca Schot-Guppy.
“It all ties into the unprecedented growth we’ve seen in the fintech sector in the past year.”
Schot-Guppy noted that recent events in the financial space have increased the need for the innovation perpetuated by fintechs.
She explained, “Collaboration between fintechs and banks has deepened, and the aftermath of Hayne’s Royal Banking Commissions has only reinforced the need for that relationship and for partnerships that benefit both the banks and their customers.”
“This year we set out to acknowledge collaboration across the fintech industry and we believe this cohort of winners truly represent this crucial theme and key point of difference for our ecosystem.”
The winners of the FinTech Australia 2019 Finnie Awards were:
- FinTech Organisation of the Year – Afterpay
- Emerging FinTech Organisation of the Year – Athena Home Loans
- Outstanding FinTech Leader of the Year – Jack Zhang, AirWallex
- Emerging FinTech Leader of the Year (under 35) – Jessica Ellerm, Zuper
- Female FinTech Leader of the Year – Van Le, Xinja
- Best Partnership of the Year – Up (Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, and Ferocia)
- Biggest Raise of the Year – AirWallex
- Deal of the Year – MoneyPlace
- Best Workplace Diversity – Identitii
- Excellence in Blockchain/Distributed Ledger & Digital Currencies/Wallets/Exchanges – Enosi Australia
- Excellence in Business Lending – Trade Ledger
- Excellence In Consumer Lending – Wisr
- Excellence in Crowdfunding – Equitise
- Excellence in Establishing Market Presence: Global – Airwallex
- Excellence in FinTech Support Services – Reinventure Group
- Excellence in Industry Collaborations & Partnerships – Up (Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, and Ferocia)
- Excellence in Insurtech – Huddle Insurance
- Excellence in Payments – Afterpay
- Excellence in Wealth Management – Myprosperity
See how the winners compared up to last year’s results here.