University credits for brokers a (distant) possibility: MFAA

by Mackenzie McCarty10 Dec 2012

Last week, the University of Queensland (USQ) and Heritage Bank teamed up to provide bank staff with the opportunity to continue on to university through a new study enrolment program – but a similar scheme for mortgage brokers has yet to gain serious momentum.

The so-called “Pathway Program” initiated by USQ and Heritage bank allows Heritage staff to take up university study into USQ’s undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

Bank staff who complete the Certificate IV qualifications across several areas will be eligible to claim up to six course credits into the Bachelor of Business degree, while those with Diploma qualifications can claim eight course credits – or a full 12 months from the full time study load.

But MFAA executive director of learning and professional development, Rod Edge, says that, while the idea of a similar program being developed for mortgage brokers has been put forward, it’s still a long way off.

He says that, while there has been some initial discussion, there are still things that need to be worked out logistically, such as what the proposed program would actually entail.

“Does that mean mortgage brokers with a Diploma go on and have it made into an Advanced Diploma? At this stage, it’s the start of a long journey.”

Edge says the MFAA has had some preliminary discussions with the likes of open universities and the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, but says it’s still a matter of universities talking with industry bodies.

“I know there are definitely some [brokers] who are interested, but in terms of our next level, we haven’t determined whether that will involve any further qualifications at this stage.


  • by Simon Halliday 10/12/2012 10:15:38 AM

    I would love to have my Diploma recognized as credits towards a University qualification. It would make the 'journey' as a broker more complete.

  • by Really? 10/12/2012 10:41:22 AM

    that's like getting an advanced diploma for traffic control. It's not needed.

  • by Really? 10/12/2012 10:45:05 AM

    That's like getting an advanced diploma to be a traffic controller. It's overkill